S.Bandensis Cuttlefish - Just released the kids into main tank

Well thanks. :smile:

Actually, i used my secondary camera (lumix fz7) which i hate. My canon has been DOA for the last 6 mos and I've been waiting to pick up a Nikon. That being said...

Lens: 55mm macro
Camera Make: Panasonic
Camera Model: DMC-FZ7
Flash Used: Yes (manual)
Focal Length: 6.0mm (35mm equivalent: 36mm)
Exposure Time: 0.025 s (1/40)
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO Equiv.: 400
Exposure Bias: -0.33
Whitebalance: Manual
Light Source: Flash
Metering Mode: center weight

Ghost shrimp (didnt use them for very long, just to make the transition) and small crabs about 3 weeks ago. They were growing fast but really took off after that.

My feeding technique might have had something to do with how much they have grown. I was so paranoid about losing one of them when I had them (in the breeder nets) that I made sure there were always amphipods in the net with them. Never to the point that they would be flooded with food but every night I would drop in another batch. The pods would invariably try to hide in the rubble or the corners of the net and the cuttles could pick them off without waiting for a feeding from me. Luckily for me I have the bay/ocean nearby. I must have went through a few hundred pods.

Unfortunately I think this really slowed down the socialization they would have had with me as far as food association. They are sill a little shy of taking shrimp from my hands and when I first released them into the reef they would have absolutely nothing to do with me for the first week or so.

I always have pods in the creases of the net breeder and add more so that they are never short of food. When the lights go out and the pods start being active that is when the cuttles get active. They never seem as interested in the mysid, but they are gone by morning.

So how big an issue is inking? My reef looks like LA after a fire

I walked by my reef this afternoon and SOMEBODY flipped a lid and inked up a storm. It's two hours later and there is still a big haze to the tank. Everything looks ok, coral are open, residents are doing their thing...but what if anything, do I need to be concerned about? Should I just let the skimmer do it's job?

Man, I cant even imagine what the tank would look like if someone inked when fully grown.

No carbon. Just a skimmer. I suppose I could rig something up. I had zero chance to siphon...it hit a powerhead and instantly inoculated the tank. My skimmer is throwing out zero foam now. Must be some greasy poo.

Since you are only using a skimmer, I would suggest a large water change. You might consider rigging a large filter sock with a bag of carbon either for full time use or to be added anytime you have inking. Rigging a sock filter (use the 7" size if viable, the 4" block up quickly) is pretty simple if you have a sump and simple hose from the main tank. I use 1" PVC pipe and elbows to attach it to the side and through the two handles. On one tank with a hooded box, I just attach the sock with a plastic tie through the vent holes in the hood.

OMG he just inked again as i set up the carbon. Who wants a cuttlefish with a slight inking issue? Come and get him and he's free. :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back