• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

S. bandensis baby's Problem

Ok, read this more carefully. I do think your problem was the purple up (possibly some of the other additives as well). I don't think it is copper, and hobby copper test kits have terrible resolution.

Purple up is powered aragonite which according to Randy Holmes-Farley will not dissolve in seawater (counter intuitive I know), but will show a false calcium bump. Its like adding finely crushed/powered sand to your tank that can coat and stick to everything - including animals. Its seems also to be a case of 'it happened after, so it was caused by' meaning people claim to get coralline algae after adding purple up, however people who don't add purple up get coralline just as quickly as people who add purple up.

I would do two 50-90% water changes with either water from another tank (because your tank isn't that huge) or water that has been mixing and heating and aerating for 24 hours. I would also stop adding any additives as I think they are just going to stress compromised animals more (and besides Ca, Mg and Kalk I don't think they really do much good). Add the poly filter if you want to - they don't release anything into the water.

Good luck!

Hey,

mhh purple up is possible. I started adding it, because I've lost nearly every of my coraline algee after adding products of coral shop (I was product tester for them and tested the PR Nano Reefset) But I don't add contra phos, I'm not so stupid to add iron to my tank.

Other additives are only food for corals or bacteria (TM bio actif and coral phyton) but I add it less than it was said. But I don't add anything for two weeks. I've stopped it until I saw the problems with the cuttles.

The 90% water exchange I'll do at the end of this week, at the moment there is no time... Even if all cuttles will die I think thats a good idea to remove all the shit that could pollute the water.

There is no problem adding iron to a reef tank - though it seems you are using a lot of additives, so there may be some mixing issues. We add iron to most of our tanks at work - it can help the zooxanthellae do its thing. I don't like zeo/bio actif kinds of additives, and I think you can get the same/similar results without spending the money.

Are you carbon dosing?

From your posts, it seems like nothing changed but the purple up, which is another reason I think its the culprit.

I've dosed carbon after I noticed the cuttles feel bad.

Are you realy think its to much additivs? In comparison to many other geman aquarists I think I don't use a lot.

The CS Nano Reefset was for free and I thourght that stuff can make my tank a bit better.

I have lot of corals in it, LPS, SPS, Zoas and other softies. Except of a ricordea yuma they all look very beautyfull

seriously, these two are the ones to listen to, intently, if you have a question about cuttle care. :grad:there are many VERY knowledgeable people here on tonmo. all i know :goofysca: is who to listen to. you got a cuttle problem/question that they have delivered an answer/solution to? do it and just say "thanks!!" seriously. not trying to sound like a gerk, but trying to save you some time and help your cuttles. and best of luck with your situation.

:biggrin2:

Attachments

• conv_296859.png
    conv_296859.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 79
  • conv_296860.png
    conv_296860.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 114
Nippel;162413 said:
I've dosed carbon after I noticed the cuttles feel bad.

Prolly not a problem.

Are you realy think its to much additivs? In comparison to many other geman aquarists I think I don't use a lot.

Yep, its a difference in methodology philosophy. IMO, people like to dose additives because it makes them feel like they are doing something to help the tank, but the jury is out on that. I think, generally, if you can't test for it (or if the test kits aren't accurate enough) don't add it because you don't know what its doing. Things like bacteria and amminos and other bio stuff seem like snake oil to me because there is just no way to tell what they are doing. I have seen some tanks that look fine with these additions, but also a lot that don't. It seems to me they exists to get you to keep buying them over and over again.

The CS Nano Reefset was for free and I thourght that stuff can make my tank a bit better.

I think that is too subjective a measure to know if its really doing anything or not. 'Better' can mean so many things...

I have lot of corals in it, LPS, SPS, Zoas and other softies. Except of a ricordea yuma they all look very beautyfull

Your milage may vary from mine. However, when it comes to cephs, we don't know enough so I really like to limit the additions. With reefs too really. :biggrin2:

sorry, I don't want to sound like a gerk, I'm very thankfull to all the help I get!

Please excuse I don't want to cotradict anyone. I think sometimes my words come over to you in a different way I mean them. Please be a bit patiant with me and think about how my words could be ment in a non "agressive" way.

Thanks for all the help you gave to me.

So this is what I will do:

- stop dosing any additivs (I stopped already for a week, but I won't start it again)
- big water exchange (90% if I find enought buckets) but not less than 50% like thales said

Yesterday I tried thawed frozen Mysids (good quality) but I doesn't see any cuttle eating them. May I can source some smal amphipods out of my 3g nano tank.

Is there something else I can do or did I forget something to read out of your further posts?

rryyddeerr;162416 said:
seriously, these two are the ones to listen to, intently, if you have a question about cuttle care. :grad:there are many VERY knowledgeable people here on tonmo. all i know :goofysca: is who to listen to. you got a cuttle problem/question that they have delivered an answer/solution to? do it and just say "thanks!!" seriously. not trying to sound like a gerk, but trying to save you some time and help your cuttles. and best of luck with your situation.

:biggrin2:

Thanks for the confidence!
At the same time, I hope my word would never be taken just because I said it. I love to be given evidence that changes my views! I am also happy to have discussions as to the 'why's' as I think that leads to understanding all the way around.

hey, you know, i sensed hesitance in nippel's tone, whether it was there or not. he's got some cuttles that seem to be in trouble :goofysca: and i figured he should just get the strait scoop on who is who without having to wade through hours of forum posts to know what advice to take as very solid information. i didnt know how available you and cuttle girl would be for the next couple days and whether either of you would be able to reply, so i was merely voicing my confidence in your advice in the face of his questions. obviously, i did not know the exact answers to them or i would have answered them myself, but i just figured the advice about purple up should be taken whether or not he received a sufficient answer to consider it an informed or educated decision to do so.
and thank you and the many other experienced ceph keepers on this site who have given me the confidence to keep my cuttles in addition to the necessary information to do so successfully. :read:

Fair enough! Its great that so many people care enough to keep an eye out on thing and help others. I heart (3x) TONMO.

I :tentacle: Tonmo too! I am not an additive person either, in fact, I don't think I've ever added anything but salt to my water. I do start with RO/DI water, which I think makes a difference.

Nippel, what kind of water are you using?

I agree with the water changes and No more chemicals!

If your shrimp are big enough they can hurt the cuttles. I think rryyddeerr had that problem with one of his cuttles. you could try taking off the pincers on bigger live shrimp. I also agree with everyone on the additives, in that if you don't/can't test for it don't dose it. A third thing that concerned me was that you were using freshwater shrimp as food. that may not be a good option. I try to feed salt water foods over fresh water foods.

only three left...

I hope I could keep the last guys alive. Now I'm on the second week the cuttles have absolutly no appetite. I'm wondering how they could alive so much time without food.
I try to feed them twice a day with the smalest shrimp I can find at moment. But of 10 shrimps one is be eaten.

But again: I can't imagine, that the problem with my cuttles belongs to the freshwater shrimps. I feed FW shrimps for 4 weeks and the cuttles looks and grows very fast. That are just my experiences with that.

I think there must be something very toxic in my water which is already there.

Latest on friday a can take the 90% water exchange.

Good luck with your cuttles! I'm paying close attention to your findings as I'm new to raising baby cuttles myself. Though I seem to have worse luck with them hatching.

Keep up the fight!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back