S. bandensis at the California Academy of Sciences

WOW!!! Great pictures!! Awesome!!!
???? Does the female inject water while releasing the eggs, or do the eggs expand after being placed in the cluster? (hope question makes sense)

They started hatching around Sept 28, so about a month between laying and hatching. This batch was incredibly viable with I am attributing tentatively to tons and tons of food. I am shipping about 250 egg/hatchlings to other institutions this week, but sadly, I am restricted from sharing them with non institutions at least for now.

We have lots of hatchlings. Shipped some to NRCC and Woods Hole. More should go out this week.
Here is a bad pic of a few of them:

The parents are really quite interactive and fun. I hand feed them most of the time and they will let me pull them up out of the water.

Have you estimated how many?:shock:

I wonder why these are more interactive than most. How many adults are in one tank and what is the male female ratio? Do you think it has anything to do with the sparceness of the the available cover or the particular cover that you have provided?

In the tank on display we have 2 males and 4 females and almost no aggression. I think the ratio has something to do with it, but the twice daily consistent large shrimp feedings may have more to do with it. The open top tank accessible only from the rear may also have something to do with it. I have shipped out 218 eggs/hatchlings and have at least 70 hatchlings and at least 50 eggs left with more still being laid.

It is really interesting to see the cuttles hanging out in the extended polyps of the sarcophyton. :biggrin2:

Some more pics:
UL and UR the first batch of harvested eggs
LL Gang of 5 waiting to be fed. The 6th (the small male) was waiting on the other side of the tank. Interesting to see them bunching when they are this old.
LR New UW camera (olympus stylus tough 8000 - so far a must for any aquarist) so I am figuring out how to use it. In this case the flash was too hot, but neat how the tentacles are all crazy. I suspect this was just after the clubs hit the shrimp and the floppy is just before the reel in.

I guess none will be available for us HOBBY folk. DARN restrictions!!!!!! Institutions monopolizing at its best. :smile:
SWEET PICTURES!!!! I have been looking for 2 months with no luck and my 5 month old will probably die alone.
Guess that is why I get frustrated with some rules. Thanks for letting me vent.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back