S. bandensis at the California Academy of Sciences

I went to the Steinhart aquarium yesterday and saw the S. latimaus (Bad spelling, sorry) and the baby Bandensis.
The nautiluses were AWESOME. I had never seen cuttlefish or nautiluses in the flesh before.
The bandensis didn't do anything, though. They just sort of sat there.

welcome to cephs! Sometimes they just sit.

I just took over the Naut tank...pulled 40 eggs out of it!

Lemmie know the next time you are coming and I'll show you around back of house.

DWhatley;176771 said:
That's an impressive number of egg! I assume you are going to try to hatch the nauts. Were they aware that the adults were mating?

Yep I found eggs in there about 6 months ago. There are currently 9 nauts, in the next month or two i'll be working on sexing them. There is a chance I won't stay primary on the exhibit, but I am campaigning hard for it. I am trying to make time to candle the eggs before I leave for PI next week.

Do you actually use a candle or a light to see if an embryo is developing? Since these may take a year or more, would you do this every month or more frequently since I think there is only one report on tank hatching and that was more or less an accidental discovery (and the hatchling did not survive long)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back