Roving octopus to be freed - Otago Daily Times

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff

Roving octopus to be freed
[SIZE=-1]Otago Daily Times, New Zealand - 18 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By John Gibb on Thu, 8 Jan 2009 Sid the octopus glides through his tank at the Portobello Aquarium on the Otago Peninsula. Photo by Craig Baxter. ...[/SIZE]

More...

Jean? You didn't tell us, (OK, maybe a slight hint in the Xmas carol you posted).

Aquarist Dr Jean McKinnon said: "Sid's got quite good eyesight. We're watching him and he's watching us".

Aquarium senior aquarist Matthew Crane said an octopus's problem-solving ability made escape-proofing its tank "quite a challenge".

About 10 years ago, an octopus at the aquarium named Harry - after human escape artist Harry Houdini - escaped from the same tank now occupied by Sid, and was halfway up the steps to the nearby University of Otago marine laboratory when found.

I remember the "midnight watchman" story and have repeated it several times :razz:

too busy looking for Sid!!!!! Fortunately he's shown no more signs of wanderlust since his return as several people have come out specially to see him since that article was in the paper (front page too!!!!!!!)

J

my kind of octopus

Hi Jean
I loved the story about your wandering octopus - he sounds like my kind of octopus and I'd love to meet him. Fortunately our big squid is dead and can't escape from it's tank...
:smile:

well c'mon down!!! It'll have to be soon though as Sid will be getting released soon...........he escaped again yesterday and was retrieved from the drains! .......Someone forgot to secure the tank doors (not me I wasn't on duty!!!).

Hoping to get up to Te Papa soon to see your non escaping squid :biggrin2:

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back