Round Two

The addiction continues. I know I said that I was not getting another octopus, but you know how it is. The other day while looking at the stingrays my LFS just got in I saw a tiny little O. Hummelincki. When I say tiny, this thing could sit on a quarter. I shrugged it off until today when I went back to pick up my new stingray and say a small used one gallon hex tank for $8.00 that included a firmly secured lid. It's all plastic which makes everything even better. Once I saw that I knew I HAD to get this little thing. My wife who recently made me denounce all walks of life so to speak was surprisingly aggreeable with my decission to get it. So I set up the little hex with water from my 250 gallon stingray tank along with a small plastic cup of sand from it as well. I'm usinng one blue TrueLumen 4 bulb LED and two white 4 bulb led lights arranged w/b/w for lighting and an air stone for aireation and water movement. The LFS had this night magic 8 ball sized rock covered in grape culerpa that I'm getting as well. This rock will sit centered in the tank under the light. I will due several water changes with water from the stingray tank every week to keep the water clean. I may even add a small Korali power head for extra water movement. Thinking about it now; I think I will. On second thought, scratch that. The air stone is doing a decent job at circulating the water and I don't want the animal to get hurt by the pump. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow after work. I'll post pictures of it then. I'm so excited. I love Hummelinckis.

I was going to wait until I got the rock and octopus in the tank so you could see everything complete, but here is a very short video of what I have so far. I used my hand so you could see just how small the tank is, though it will look gigantic compared to the size of this octopus. I will more then likely have to turn the air pump down a bit though. It's pushing the water pretty hard. I'll see how it looks once I have the rock inside.

The tank is actually a bit whiter than it shows in this video. I don't know why the white doesn't come out over the blue since there are two whites and one blue. Oh and yes I'm going to cork the whole I used to open the tank. I'm going to use an actual cork so that I can remove it to use the whole to feed.

:cry: Apparently the octopus had died sometime this afternoon before I got there. The rock they had with it was placed somewhere and no one there knew where it went, so now I have no calurpa rock and no octopus. I told them if they get another about the same size to give me a call. I have a nice u bend rock that's coated in coraline that I'm going to put a bunch of coral frags on. I have about five or six different coral species that I will use to colonize this rock. I just hope the LED lights are strong enough to grow them. I'll post another video when I've finished with the corals.

True, but I think it might still be alive if it were in my tank. The two times I saw it it was perfectly healthy and acting normal. I'm not placing blame, but I think they might've done something that caused it's demise. I'm posting a video of the rock and corals I just put in. It'll look better once the corals attach and open up and I can increase the flow.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back