Round Two

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by skywindsurfer, May 6, 2011.

1. skywindsurfer

skywindsurfer Architeuthis Registered

The addiction continues. I know I said that I was not getting another octopus, but you know how it is. The other day while looking at the stingrays my LFS just got in I saw a tiny little O. Hummelincki. When I say tiny, this thing could sit on a quarter. I shrugged it off until today when I went back to pick up my new stingray and say a small used one gallon hex tank for $8.00 that included a firmly secured lid. It's all plastic which makes everything even better. Once I saw that I knew I HAD to get this little thing. My wife who recently made me denounce all walks of life so to speak was surprisingly aggreeable with my decission to get it. So I set up the little hex with water from my 250 gallon stingray tank along with a small plastic cup of sand from it as well. I'm usinng one blue TrueLumen 4 bulb LED and two white 4 bulb led lights arranged w/b/w for lighting and an air stone for aireation and water movement. The LFS had this night magic 8 ball sized rock covered in grape culerpa that I'm getting as well. This rock will sit centered in the tank under the light. I will due several water changes with water from the stingray tank every week to keep the water clean. I may even add a small Korali power head for extra water movement. Thinking about it now; I think I will. On second thought, scratch that. The air stone is doing a decent job at circulating the water and I don't want the animal to get hurt by the pump. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow after work. I'll post pictures of it then. I'm so excited. I love Hummelinckis.

2. skywindsurfer

I was going to wait until I got the rock and octopus in the tank so you could see everything complete, but here is a very short video of what I have so far. I used my hand so you could see just how small the tank is, though it will look gigantic compared to the size of this octopus. I will more then likely have to turn the air pump down a bit though. It's pushing the water pretty hard. I'll see how it looks once I have the rock inside.

3. skywindsurfer

The tank is actually a bit whiter than it shows in this video. I don't know why the white doesn't come out over the blue since there are two whites and one blue. Oh and yes I'm going to cork the whole I used to open the tank. I'm going to use an actual cork so that I can remove it to use the whole to feed.

4. skywindsurfer

I am so excited I can hardly keep my mind on my work. I just hope I don't get a spring ticket on my way to the LFS.:angel:

5. Mike Bauer

Mike Bauer Vampyroteuthis Registered

Cover that hole in the top with duct tape!:wink: Finger in Octopus out.

6. skywindsurfer

:cry: Apparently the octopus had died sometime this afternoon before I got there. The rock they had with it was placed somewhere and no one there knew where it went, so now I have no calurpa rock and no octopus. I told them if they get another about the same size to give me a call. I have a nice u bend rock that's coated in coraline that I'm going to put a bunch of coral frags on. I have about five or six different coral species that I will use to colonize this rock. I just hope the LED lights are strong enough to grow them. I'll post another video when I've finished with the corals.

7. Mike Bauer

Mike Bauer Vampyroteuthis Registered

Sorry to hear you didn't get it. But the good thing is you didn't get it home and it died later that night on you.

8. skywindsurfer

True, but I think it might still be alive if it were in my tank. The two times I saw it it was perfectly healthy and acting normal. I'm not placing blame, but I think they might've done something that caused it's demise. I'm posting a video of the rock and corals I just put in. It'll look better once the corals attach and open up and I can increase the flow.