Rossia question

Discussion in 'Physiology and Biology' started by bathypol, Jan 28, 2009.

1. bathypol

bathypol Wonderpus Registered

I have been looking everywhere for a good reference for Rossia species. I have one by Nesis but I can't use it if the clubs are damaged. HELP (please :smile:)

:banghead:

2. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Hmm. The Tree of Life's Rossia page lists a couple of references at the bottom but doesn't do any species diagnosis and probably relied heavily on Nesis, as you mentioned. A quick search on Google Scholar (which I assume you've also tried) didn't turn up much either... in what context are you IDing species? Nesis gives at least one extra character for most species and also mentions their distributions - do you have geographic collection data?

3. bathypol

Hi Tintenfisch,

I did search with Google to start and kept getting references to Russia. Gotta love spellcheck. The main problem I'm having is that the 3 species I am stuck between rely heavily on the tentacle clubs to distinguish between them and are all found in the same general area (the Arctic, in particular the western Arctic). I was just hoping someone had/knew of some rare key that could be of some help.

4. Taollan

Taollan Vampyroteuthis Supporter

What three species of Rossia?

5. bathypol

R. moelleri, R. palpebrosa and R. megaptera