• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Rocks in the tank

Hi,

My question is I already have about 15 pounds of LR in my tank and my tank is a 40 gallon tank. If I go and just add some other rocks that I find will the little creatures from the LR go over to the other rocks and make the other rocks LR?

You sure do ask a lot of questions that require an "it depends" answer :biggrin2:

If you are talking about rock from your yard, not likely and they could easily have poisons (pesticides, fertilizer, etc). TOTALLY NOT recommended.

If you are talking about sanatized porus rock, man-made rock designed for marine aquarium use, base rock (marine rock that has not cured long in the ocean and has some but minimal life) or marine dead rock (rock that has come from the ocean but allowed to dry), yes over time (Ken does not harvest rock for a minium of two years in the ocean, it could take longer in an aquarium).

You can make "rocks" by mixing white portland cement with crushed coral or coarse sand. It probably won't be cheaper than buying live rock in the end, unless you plan on making a lot of it, but it is another option.

Search around for making "Agrocrete" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

my sand is actually tiny pieces of coral... It wasn't that bad of a cost. then going and mixing it with some safe cement... sounds messy.

It'd say do a drier mix... so it gives you more to shape with.

It'd probably be good as a base (bottom rock).

Also, you could save money if you sold it as well. Make a bunch.... then sell it to your friends, the LFS, or maybe in the paper.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back