• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Rock

I am going to be setting up a 120. I have some live rock from other tanks that I will be using but due to the size of the tank I would like to build a large structure out of other rock, preferably like to go with something light, easy to drill and dry. I have seen people here use lava rock, not really considering that but could I go to a stone dealer and see what is avaliable that would fill my need? Is there any particular type of stone that I should steer clear of? The last tank I aquascaped with live rock was a pistol. The rock was dense and difficult to drill. My tank's dimentions are 4'x2' and 25" deep so I will need a structure of considerable size. I worry about rocks tumbling so I will definately be rodding them together. All input appreciated :smile:

Since I use only aquacultured (I have some that is wild harvested from the "old" days thoug), I have not experimented with other options. Look around for info on lava rock before you go that route though. I have seen notes suggesting that it can gas out sulphur forever but I don't know how true that is. Several people are using something called Texas Holey rock that does not have this issue and seems to do very well in a saltwater aquarium but I don't know about its availability.

D, thank you for the reply. I just found out the local guy I bought liverock from last time is now getting dry Fiji. My brother told me (when he was therea0 he saw some huge pieces. $2. a pound is what he charges, don't think I could do better than that. I will ask if he wants to do some trading too. I need to let go of some anemones. :sad:

Weeee speaking of live rock, I finally got mine today. Iv also heard what D said about lava rock, no clue if its true though. Good luck

i made a big piece a while back and after about a year and a half, it started to slowly crumble apart. i was thinking it would be fun to make some out of porcelain. i have been a clay artist by trade for several years and know that porcelain, if calculated properly, would yield a neutral, glass-like structure that would be totally safe for marine aquarium use.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back