Rock

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by Lmecher, May 22, 2010.

1. Lmecher

Lmecher Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

I am going to be setting up a 120. I have some live rock from other tanks that I will be using but due to the size of the tank I would like to build a large structure out of other rock, preferably like to go with something light, easy to drill and dry. I have seen people here use lava rock, not really considering that but could I go to a stone dealer and see what is avaliable that would fill my need? Is there any particular type of stone that I should steer clear of? The last tank I aquascaped with live rock was a pistol. The rock was dense and difficult to drill. My tank's dimentions are 4'x2' and 25" deep so I will need a structure of considerable size. I worry about rocks tumbling so I will definately be rodding them together. All input appreciated :smile:

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Since I use only aquacultured (I have some that is wild harvested from the "old" days thoug), I have not experimented with other options. Look around for info on lava rock before you go that route though. I have seen notes suggesting that it can gas out sulphur forever but I don't know how true that is. Several people are using something called Texas Holey rock that does not have this issue and seems to do very well in a saltwater aquarium but I don't know about its availability.

3. Lmecher

D, thank you for the reply. I just found out the local guy I bought liverock from last time is now getting dry Fiji. My brother told me (when he was therea0 he saw some huge pieces. $2. a pound is what he charges, don't think I could do better than that. I will ask if he wants to do some trading too. I need to let go of some anemones. :sad:

4. Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith Wonderpus Registered

Weeee speaking of live rock, I finally got mine today. Iv also heard what D said about lava rock, no clue if its true though. Good luck

5. Jocephus

Jocephus O. bimaculoides Registered

You could try marcorocks.com for dry rock as well. They have a good reputation.

6. Lmecher

Thanks guys :grin:

7. L8 2 RISE

L8 2 RISE Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Both marcorocks.com and texas holey rock are good suggestions.

8. SabrinaR

SabrinaR Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

Holy is HEAVY!!! I have a piece and if I dropped it on my foot... my foot would break. Not to mention its not porus like regular live rock... For what you need and the size you need I would make your own. Its REALLY easy and you could design it just the way you want.... heres a link to a how to....http://www.garf.org/news5p1.html#mold.

Plus its SUPER cheap to make.

9. rryyddeerr

rryyddeerr Vampyroteuthis Registered

i made a big piece a while back and after about a year and a half, it started to slowly crumble apart. i was thinking it would be fun to make some out of porcelain. i have been a clay artist by trade for several years and know that porcelain, if calculated properly, would yield a neutral, glass-like structure that would be totally safe for marine aquarium use.

10. Lmecher

Some very good ideas but have no time. We have a guy in our local club he sells dry and fully cured live rock for $2. per lb. I am going to get a few very large peices to use with what I have. :smile: