[Octopus]: Ripley - Abdopus sp My 'cephalopodic' journey-a beginner's progressive notes

Thanks!
It is a bit frustrating how much fish are pushed as a means to 'prep' a tank.

I actually think the fishless style will make it so I can actually start aquascaping sooner.

Our general recommendation is for people new to saltwater to go about learning to keep a marine environment before trying to keep the more exotic animals. My recommendation is to cycle and build your tank over a year's time (rather than the required 3 months). Getting a "saltwater thumb" definitely helps spot issues before they become fatalities. There are a number of expressions that have become part of the hobby and most learn them the hard way. One is "new tank syndrome" and another, "Nothing good happens fast in a saltwater environment". Then there is, "MTS", the disease many of us contract :wink:.

Exciting news! I know we talked about a no fish system BUT I found the perfect fish to help cycle my tank. It is sure to be a no problem, is colorful, does not pick on coral, is octopus friendly, and is a clean keeper.
Based on reviews I find they are highly recommended for a beginner as they are also very hardy.

thumbnail_IMG_20170715_131300509.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20170715_131312540.jpg

Haha-could not help that.
Going to start working on slowly getting a few hardy coral and start some aquascaping hopefully by next week. After a water change.

On the fishless method-it mentions using cut up pieces of shrimp-does it matter if it is from one of those platter shrimp or does it need to be an actual whole shrimp that has all its..parts attached? Probably a dumb question there but was wonder if due to one has been processed and is just its flesh if that would still work.

Regular old frozen shrimp works fine. If you have an H-Mart (or other Korean food mart) near by, they often have an inexpensive (for shrimp) display that you scoop out your own selection. I typically buy these for the octos but not as human food as they are a bit tasteless and tough but at $4/lb, they keep the expenses down.

I would suggest peeling them but not buying peeled shrimp. The skin really won't add that much but will be hard to remove and add to your nitrate (the end process of the ammonia->nitrite->nitrate cycle) accumulation as it deteriorates in the tank. I find the pre-peeled shrimp to be kind of dry and tasteless so my gut feel, without any evidence except that the octos seem to like it less -- maybe, is that it produces less ammonia. I don't devein the shrimp even when I give it to the octos but we have seen one (but only one and sadly I never got a video) octopus actually devein its shrimp.

You do want to be careful with delicate glass in the tank once you have an octopus. Octos do not go around things (so keep this in mind when you place your corals, especially if you add gorgonians - for the safety of the corals) so you don't want it in a place where it might get knocked around and broken.

Yes, I have heard of their habits and the need to take care-which in itself that challenge is perhaps odd to say what has drawn me to them. Sorta having to baby proof things in the tank and what you put for 'toys'.
One of the local fish stores was talking about some fun plastic tubing we can use to make small mazes for him. Things like that will be fun.
As for coral-most of the coral I have been looking at are more along the lines of soft coral. Like the mushrooms and Zonathids. Since they are also great for beginners.
I wasn't sure on any hard coral due to the concern of an octopus with them.

In the lists for tank mates- this is the list of species I currently have that is available for me to acquire over here that I want to pass along to see if these are possible tankmates down the road (these are the ones that my store is currently carrying)- banded brittle, black serpent. Also can you use marbled reef stars? My store wanted me to ask to see if that was an option.

I've read the recommendation list but am struggling a little with knowing in regards to tank size in comparison. Which will be best for more of a nano cube style.

I would recommend one serpent/brittle of any color other than green (the greens eventually become aggressive and can get very large). Where serpents and brittles do quite well and will eat octo leftovers but not bother the octopus, starfish usually do not find enough to eat (often we don't really know what they eat) and starve to death in an aquarium and some may trap a small octopus and kill it. If the marbled reef star is the kind I suspect, they rarely survive a month before they start dissolving (the same is true of the beautiful linckia stars). Both require special handling by the exporters, a well established reef tank and a lot of luck.

Note that you do have the option of ordering on-line and may want to consider ordering from some of the small collectors to minimize the number of times an animal is shipped and has its environment changed. Additionally, by ordering from a licensed collector you will know where the animal originates and have some confidence in the collection methods.

I suspect you are beginning to see why so many hobbyists keep multiple tanks. We can't put everything we would like to observe in one aquarium!
:concern:

Yes- I totally understand the want for many tanks. I have (and still at times struggle) with the freshwater side of that.
I do apologize for some of these possible repeat questions-the reason I am asking them is actually more along the lines of what feels like information overload. I have had a few hobbyist say one thing and then a different hobbyist say the exact opposite. Has been quite confusing. This is why I keep asking due to knowing I can rely on the information here without a doubt.
I started with the goal of an octopus with the expectation of it being the only thing in the tank. With hearing you can have an actual star fish and a few clean up crew (granted some of them likely will be eaten) was an unexpected bonus for me.
I am really liking the red bristle star due to its more contrasting color.
The option of ordering online is a good recommendation. Do you have a lists of reputable dealers there as I am not familiar with much online ordering.
I am so appreciative of this site and the help. :smile:

LOL, as you are learning there are dozens of ways to set up and maintain a saltwater aquarium (and most of them work). When looking for advice, I try to find hobbyists (not vendors) that have extended time and dialog on the specific topic I am researching but sometimes it is hard to qualify the success of the information provider. With octopuses there is still a lot of hit and miss open questions (best acclimation -- but we know it needs to be slow, best/min/max tank size, best food, how often and how much to feed are a few). We do have a few strong recommendations to avoid failure (full salinity, clean water, secure lid, basic tank mates).

Most licensed collectors in South FL are a pretty good bet as they are regulated and many have been in business a long time (other Gulf states or West Coast suppliers may be a good choice but I don't have experience there). I do recommend using a collector and not an importer to minimize the environment changes and stocking from a similar environment. There are also a few collector/suppliers in your area but they are for cold water tanks. From what I have noted from other hobbyists, California licensing is limited and most animals sold there are imports.

Personally, I often use KP Aquatics but I have known the owners for many years and did some web work for the original owner (as Sea Life Inc, father of the current owners).

Great!- I was actually talking with them via email about their hermit crabs. Glad to know they are a recommended resource.

Jumping back to corals- any thoughts on Star Polyps? I know you have to keep them to one rock or they will grow everywhere. But are they octo safe and small tank recommended?

It is difficult to guess well with polyps. If you want to try some in the tank, make sure you can control them (ie have them on an isolated rock that can be removed) and then observe the octo when it touches them. If the octo reacts (pulls away) then remove the polyps. I have a set of brown polyps (but don't know how to id them) that I have split and placed in all my tanks because, I know them to be safe but have stopped trying others.

These may be the same species since they came from Sea Life (prior name) years ago but mine are variegated with white. They are not very attractive but are very hardy.

Star Polyps Metallic Green
This is one of the ones I was looking at. It has an ice sea bed look to it. This was the one I was wondering over due to it sounds fairly hardy.

On the same note-I am very pleased to see how many different styles and colors of mushrooms are out there. They are gorgeous.

I am currently looking into two toadstools (granted not putting two in the tank but deciding which of the two I want) and trying to decide which to go with. One is a green tip toadstool the other is a yellow tip toadstool. I am waiting to receive their actual Latin names so I can know more precisely as to what I am looking at and what to expect.

Also please correct me if I am rushing things too fast on the adding to the tank. I currently only have 2 snails, and two small mushrooms in the tank. My thought was to add possibly one or two more coral and then leave things be for awhile. OR should I be waiting longer?

I also did purchase my own salt mix and am planning to start practicing mixing my own salt water due to the excellent tip on having some ready for emergencies. Plus the fact that I have some pretty bad winters storms here during the cold months and want to be ready in case I can not get out for premixed water.

Your tank is probably too immature for corals yet (remember these are animals too) but you might add more meat eating clean up crew so you can continue pushing your cycle without adding too heavily to the nitrates. In addition to hermits, brittle stars are pretty hardy and can often learn to be hand fed (you will need to feed the same time each day).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back