[Octopus]: Ripley - Abdopus sp My 'cephalopodic' journey-a beginner's progressive notes

Just found a small tiny white starfish? In my tank. Must have snuck in on one of the live rocks I'm guessing. Do I need to worry about that or what suggestions do you have?

See if you can take a picture. There are numerous kinds of tiny starfish (they don't get big). As far as I know they are all harmless to a ceph and most fish. Some, however, are not good for corals.

IMG_20170826_214928921.jpg

AND a new question: is there or can I be directed to the article that might have some tips of how to make my tank look better outside wise. I feel as if all the photos I see of others posted has all their waterflow and gadgets well hidden where I feel as if mine looks sloppy. (I will post photos later once I am off of work)
Maybe this is because I went with a biocube set up versus a bigger setup? I am not certain but it would be more my goal to find a way to display my tank without so much equipment so easily seen.

My newest addition to my tank and one that will hopefully be able to stay.
Felt sorta like a rescue as it is currently regrowing one of its limbs after an incident with a lobster it shared a tank with at the store.
It's a Harlequin Serpent Starfish. IMG_20170902_170622817.jpg IMG_20170902_170622817.jpg IMG_20170902_165340735.jpg

Harlequins are my second favorite but keep in mind it will be hidden most of the time. If you feed at a regular time, it will learn to come to supper.

Yes I expected that when I picked it. So far I've been a little surprised and a bit pleased that it has moved under a make shift cave I built with rocks that makes them feel covered but you have visibility. Not sure if it will always stay there but for now it's been fun seeing it.
I totally am planning on trying to teach it to come to supper! I'm excited for this goal.

I'd still would love to one day get a red brittle starfish as well. (Probably would need a bigger tank?)

You can probably get away with two brittle/serpent stars after you have a messy primary occupant but, for now, feeding just the one is a better idea.

You can probably get away with two brittle/serpent stars after you have a messy primary occupant but, for now, feeding just the one is a better idea.
You have had a starfish in your past so maybe you can help me out here:
I am starting to have doubts that what I was sold is in fact a Harlequin Serpent Star and perhaps is instead what is called a Tiger Serpent Star (ophiolepis superba). To me it looks more closely related to the Tiger. But I have never owned either one and it was sold to me as a Harlequin so I am curious on that.
If it is a Tiger Serpent-will this pose a problem for the tank?
I note that they do tend to get to be a bit bigger.
So far the one I have has been great. She (or he) has a favored spot selected under a rock pile I put and the great part is I can see her fully even when she hangs out over there during the day. At night she is very busy all over the tank. I also have had success in feeding her small pieces of shrimp.
Let me know if you can tell on the species as I would love to know what I actually have.

Thanks!

I noticed the pattern was different from the harlequins I have kept so good job on finding an alternate ID! With one exception (green brittle stars) I think you are safe with most any serpent or brittle but mine have always come from the Caribbean and can only speak for those. I did keep a green brittle once that I swore must be different from the aggressive animals as Mr. Green Jeans was very dossil for years. However, for no known reason, he eventually became very aggressive and had to be moved to his own tank.

News update-
Having too much trouble with my tank. If the power goes out it floods.
Frustrating as it is-I am going to start over with a different tank set up. The one I currently have is just not quite what I am wanting. I found and talked with an aquarium store who is more familiar with keeping octopus as pets and they have a tank that will be all inclusive and a little longer of a tank. But still around 30 gallons. It will solve my flooding issue.

Other then that-I have been greatly enjoying my single resident which is a serpent starfish (I took the large hermit crab who I was watching for a friend back to them) and succeeded today in getting her to take a piece of shrimp from my hand.
On these serpent stars-are there other things you can feed as treats along. I have only been using pieces of shrimp so far.

I don't remember trying anything but shrimp. However, serpents and brittles are scavengers and likely to take any dead offering.

Since you are going to an all in one, this may not be helpful but yes, you do have to leave room in your sump for the amount of water that will back flow with no power. I keep a sticker on all of my tanks for the proper fill level to prevent water on the floor (at least from a power outage, I am kind of messy with water changes :wink: )

Looking for some rock tips-
Here is a picture of the 'cave' rock I purchased for the salt tank. I was wondering if this would be suitable for an octopus or if this type of rock is too coarse for them. Also tips on prepping it since it came from someone's tank and fears of germs. I had it sitting in some water which I thought was circulating over it but it looks like it was not. So currently it has an odor to it which I have been told will go away in time once its sat in salt water for some time. I currently am not sure if I should add it to the tank since I have my serpent starfish in it and fear it will cause a spike in the nitrites/nitrates and may stress her out. Or am I just overly paranoid here and should still be able to add it? Currently I just have it sitting outside due to its odoriferous qualities.

I also have my new tank coming in and should be ready to be picked up by this weekend. So if it will not work out for the octopus I can always use it for something else.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20171002_181203167.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20171002_181203167.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 75
  • thumbnail_IMG_20171002_181231985.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20171002_181231985.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 59
  • thumbnail_IMG_20171002_181238330.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20171002_181238330.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 54
Currently I just have it sitting outside due to its odoriferous qualities.
If this means out of water, DO NOT PUT IT IN THE TANK! You will need to cure the rock in saltwater for at least a month, changing out the water about once a week. Basically, you will need a container (bucket is fine), saltwater and a small pump. The smell is the live algae and small animals that died while it was not in circulating water. When the water in the bucket reads 0 for both ammonia and nitrite, it should be safe to add it to your tank. In other words, you need to cycle the rock like the initial cycle on your tank.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back