[Octopus]: Ripley - Abdopus sp My 'cephalopodic' journey-a beginner's progressive notes

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
Do share! Note that our Media Gallery now also supports uploading & processing of videos up to 100mb. Once uploaded, it can be embedded here in the forums. I'm still working on optimizing this... slow & steady :heee:

KD5054

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome! Yeah I have a good video of her as well. Just needing to figure out on my phone and how to upload it. Lol!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
She is more active than most records we have of a brooding female. You might try offering very tiny pieces of shrimp.

KD5054

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
She is more active than most records we have of a brooding female. You might try offering very tiny pieces of shrimp.
This was the day I was able to get her to take a piece of shrimp.
She hasn't taken another offering since then. But stays and continually works on placing and replacing her 'barricade'.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I have found that size matters. What I am suggesting is offering a VERY small piece of shrimp, maybe sucker sized. You would probably have to the pieces on a clam shell or even in a small shallow bowl or bottle cap.

KD5054

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent tip! - I retried some of the small miosis shrimp today and she gladly accepted them!
She and used one of her arms to check me out.
So happy!

KD5054

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
Great video! Are those eggs confirmed fertilized? I couldn't make out any eye spots...
I believe so. I can only see a very small speck inside each one. Originally I couldn't even see the but they have slowly developed to a spot. Not sure what part that is to them as they develope.
Also, I've been told to look for pulsing and have not seen that yet either.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
The black dots will likely be the eyes (you should be able to see two if the egg is in the right position and you use a magnifying glass. Try a cheap pair of reading glasses (you will only want roughly 2 - 2.5 magnification - dollar stores often have them) if you don't have a magnifying glass available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigbear

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards