RIP steve irwin

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by bigGdelta, Sep 4, 2006.

1. bigGdelta

bigGdelta Vampyroteuthis Supporter

just found out from an aussie friend that steve irwin was killed by a stingray

2. WhiteKiboko

WhiteKiboko Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

i thought this was another reoocurrance of the same urban legend of him dying every couple of months.... but... if this is a hoax, it has good agents...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601081&sid=a4L4NuwpEE3E&refer=australia

http://www.canada.com/topics/entert...=2fa659e4-3b92-4f25-967b-6e66d4273f4b&k=98762

http://newsinfo.inq7.net/breakingnews/world/view_article.php?article_id=18897

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2572539

he mannerisms may have been mildly annonying but he certainly did mean well.....

3. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

It's all over the News Channels online, I just found out when our a teacher told us during lunch.

4. nanoteuthis

nanoteuthis Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

OMG.... is it really true? I too thought it was a hoax, but then I saw it posted as a headline on CNN. I've always been a great fan of the Croc Hunter, and this feels almost unreal.... similar to when I heard the news about John Lennon's assassination. What a horrible, horrible tragedy -- I can only guess how poor Terri and little Bindi must feel (I assume the little boy is too young to understand, perhaps mercifully). May God rest his sweet soul.... he brought so much joy to so many sentient beings, human and otherwise. Ciao my beloved Steve -- I will miss you with all my heart. :cry:

5. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

As you say, the sources certainly seem credible. It sounds, er, fishy, though... This is pretty atypical for a stingray injury, but it's not impossible. Most stingay injuries occur when someone steps on a ray that's hiding under the sand, and it whips the stinger up and typically gets the diver in the leg. If a diver were swim/crawling along the bottom, I suppose a chest strike would be possible, and of course, he may have been playing with the animal or something. Stingray venom is somewhat nasty, but it doesn't frequently cause fatalities... It does sometimes have cardiac effects, though, so I imagine that this might have been a significant envenomation near the heart that was enough to cause heart failure. The book I'm looking at also mentions that some species can get to be 12 feet by 6 feet, so I expect if it was one of those, the venom dose might be a lot bigger than "typical." It's certainly sad news, in any case...

6. WhiteKiboko

7. PSLee

PSLee Pygmy Octopus Registered

Truly sad... =(

8. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Not happy with the terminology being used by the media, 'stingray attacks' just do not happen. He must have been buggering about with it as usual...

He had been playing Russian Roulette with animals for long enough, it was only a matter of time

9. monty

From all the stuff I read, it sounds much more immediate than that... from this article:

this expert seems to more or less agree with my book that it's pretty atypical for a stingray injury...

I suppose it's also possible he was allergic to the venom, or that the chest trauma itself (possibly combined with being underwater) was the cause of the death, so the venom wasn't really the issue.

But yeah, secondary bacterial infection is frequently more of a problem from stingray stings than the venom... I'm really shocked, though, since most diving first aid books don't treat stingray stings as an immediate life-threatening situation... the book I'm looking at emphasizes cleaning the wound more than anything else, although it does say that the patient should be monitored for systemic effects. But mostly, flush with cold liquid, irrigate and clean out the wound, then heat treat the wound to neutralize the venom, and maybe use a light tourniquet. Although it lists "death" as a possible, er, complication, it doesn't offer any suggestion to counter it: "Fatalities have been reported secondary to intra-abdominal and thoracic trauma" sounds like it applies here...

10. WhiteKiboko

we've pulled up roughtail stingrays that more or less have a stiletto on their tail.... upsize that if it was something like a smooth stingray and add in less than safe behavior (being above it, etc) and i can see how it would be more than possible....

11. monty

Yeah, even without the venom, that could do all sorts of damage. I wonder if we'll ever find out if death resulted from trauma or from venom... Certainly, a stiletto whipped around like that could have just punctured the aorta or something, venom notwithstanding. Anyway, sad to see him gone, although I suppose this is appropriate for someone who made his living demonstrating high-risk behavior with dangerous animals. :sad:

12. erich orser

erich orser Architeuthis Supporter Registered

I remember footage from late in her life where Leni Reifenstahl was filming an underwater documentary in the Indian Ocean, and she and her dive partner were swimming right next to a masssive stingray along the bottom - the thing had to be as big as a king-sized bed. They were treating it with kid gloves however, so it didn't seem to mind them around. A simple whip into somebody's chest from a ray that size could indeed prove fatal; even if the venom dosage were not the primary culprit, a knife to the heart is a knife to the heart.

RIP Steve Irwin. You were a complete lunatic.

13. erich orser

Hmm, my last post was written while Monty's went up. Sorry if it seems a little redundant.

14. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Local radio here is actually saying, 'stabbed through the heart'

so either a huge ray or it could have been anaphylactic shock

15. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

OMG...I just changed channels last night cause he was doing some silly skit about being chased across a golf course by a thousands of pounds croc. What a shame. He may have been annoying at times but his passion for creatures was very alluring and I'm sure drew many in who otherwise would not have been willing to learn about creatures.

16. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

RIP Steve Irwin -- a true pioneer. He laid it all out. Gave 110% for all of us to enjoy, and learn from. Thank you Steve Irwin!

17. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Yep, absolutely as Carol said. This is sad news, he may have been a complete lunatic but his enthusiasm was very infectious. Kids loved him and he did an awful lot of valuable work promoting Australia and Australia Zoo. Very unfortunate, but he really was an accident waiting to happen.

Austin Stevens, take note.

18. erich orser

Personally, I'm crushed by this. On the other hand, I always knew he'd be killed by some dangerous wild animal. He spent too much time annoying them for the cameras. He was WAY too cavalier in his treatment of them in how he caught them, how he showed-them off to his audience. For the last many years I've been expecting him to be killed in action by... something. You understand, a venomous snake, or a Komodo Dragon, or a deadly arthropod, or - something. I mean, really, frankly this was inevitable. But a fish? Still, it's a sad, sad thing. He got a lot of the World personally acquainted with what was out there in it. That's always an immortal, great thing. He accomplished something on a popular scale last reached by Jacques Yves-Cousteau. That's hardly unimpressive. He'll be deeply missed by most of us.

Boy he could be annoying.

God rest you, Steve Irwin. You made a bunch of us routinely happy.

That's a real difficult accomplishment.

My sympathies go to Terri and his family. I hope she keeps things going.

Erich

19. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

What he said.

I only had a chance to work with Steve once, while he was doing some filming on rattlesnakes, and I spent most of my time shaking my head as he picked them up by the tail, etc. Nuts.
    But, he also influenced a ton of children about not hunting big game, and how to look at wildlife through excited eyes. Perhaps I didn't agree with his methods, but the end product sure worked. Sad news.

20. Architeuthoceras

Architeuthoceras Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

If only someone could share their enthusiasm for fossils as Steve did for wild animals.

RIP Steve.