• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

RIP Sir Eric Denton

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Rest in Peace, Sir Eric.

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Registered
He, along with J. B. Gilpin-Brown, wrote the paper that I based my thesis on (Denton E. J. & Gilpin-Brown J. B. 1961a. The distribution of gas and liquid within the cuttlebone. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, 41: 365-381).

In the 1960s, they analyzed the gas inside a cuttlebone - I refined their findings (and found some errors :oops:) using more advanced equipment (I did my work in the 1990's). They were both amazing scientists.

RIP Sir Denton

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Rest In Peace to the man who helped demonstrate buoyancy in ammonites based upon his work in cuttlefish, spirula, and nautilus. A long life very well-lived. May heavenly tentacles waft him to his final reward.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
In a tribute of sorts, I encourage the denizens of "Fossils and History" to meander over to "Physiology and Biology" and discuss spirula a bit.

Members online

No members online now.