RIP Pudge

Pudge died sometime this afternoon, I had no idea what killed him, then I looked at the thermometer and it was 85 degrees! My mom said she turned the heater up because Pudge was 'cold'. My heater was also sensitive or something, I've had problems with this brand before. :x

I buried him in a bucket with his feeding stick around 3:00 to 4:00, I was going to put him in the lake, but the ice would have been too thick. :cry:

Nick, how long do you think Pudge was at 85 degrees? I'm doing some investigation into temperatures that bimacs do well in, and temperatures that they can tolerate. The range seems to be a bit wider than I thought.

Nancy

Yes, apparently they can tolerate those temperatures, but higher temperatures increase their metabolism and result in a shorter lifespan.

From what I've been able to find out so far, mid sixties to lower seventies is the range you should aim for.

I don't know about a temperature as high as 85 degrees, even for a short time. Since bimacs live in shallow water, they are naturally subjected to some temperature variation. I'll continue looking into this.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back