Ringo visits the Octopus' Garden

TaningiaDanae said:
Phil said:
Yo Tani,

....years before this Prof. Haagen Daas with his self-publicising plasticised touring exhibition of corpses appeared on the scene.

:? I have no idea what you're talking about here -- a Brit show perhaps? But anything related to Haagen-Dazs is OK with me.

Hmm. Actually, the good professor has attained notoriety for publicly exhibiting cadavers preserved by replacing the water in a human body with polymers: "plastination." These cadavers are then arranged in "natural" poses, recumbent or active, and are sometimes flayed and dissected so that muscle groups appear to stream from a "walking" body.

Phil said:
The Goodies was a TV programme made over ten years or so from the early seventies about three blokes living in a flat who do 'anything anytime'..... the episode everyone remembers is where a cute kitten gets injected with a growth hormone and goes on the rampage in London demolishing the Post Office Tower. Most bizarre.

TaningiaDanae said:
Sounds like a direct inspiration for Terry Gilliam's wonderfully silly "Dinsdale the Hedgehog" cartoons in Monty Python. Or maybe even the Blancmange from Outer Space!

Umm, (cough) actually the Hedgehog's name was "Spiny Norman." Dinsdale was one Dinsdale Piranha, half of the dreaded Piranha Brothers crime syndicate, who were feared for the vicious sarcasm, metaphor and hyperbole they would mete out to punish their footsoldiers. Spiny Norman was Dinsdale's nemesis.

"It were the strangest thing I hae ever seen."

-Angus Podgourney (on the Blancmange)

:heee:

Clem Piranha

Clem said:
Hmm. Actually, the good professor has attained notoriety for publicly exhibiting cadavers preserved by replacing the water in a human body with polymers: "plastination." These cadavers are then arranged in "natural" poses, recumbent or active, and are sometimes flayed and dissected so that muscle groups appear to stream from a "walking" body.

[TD nibbles virtuously on a little grape tomato, secretly wishing it were a 7500-calorie Häagen-Dazs Dulce de Leche bar....]

Hmm -- I'll have to look that one up online. Sounds either fascinating or disgusting, or both.

But what I still don't get is, what's ice cream got to do, got to do with it? What's ice cream, but a secondhand emulsion? :headphon:

Clem said:
Umm, (cough) actually the Hedgehog's name was "Spiny Norman." Dinsdale was one Dinsdale Piranha, half of the dreaded Piranha Brothers crime syndicate, who were feared for the vicious sarcasm, metaphor and hyperbole they would mete out to punish their footsoldiers. Spiny Norman was Dinsdale's nemesis.

"It were the strangest thing I hae ever seen."

-Angus Podgourney (on the Blancmange)

Mea maxima culpa! Does this mean I have to forfeit my Gumby hat? Or, worse, that you're reporting me to the Spanish Inquisition? Or will the penguin on my telly merely explode? Meet me over at the Argument Clinic and we will debate this in a rational manner -- unless of course you are into mere contradiction.

Taningia the "D", Aspiring Finalist
Guinness Book of World Records'
"Most MONTY PYTHON Non-Sequiturs in One TONMO Message Board Post"
Competition
:mrgreen:

I have been to the aforementioned Prof gunther thingy plastinated bodyworlds TWICE! And yes, I was weighing up the sensationalism vs educational usefulness issue. if you are studying anatomy, then it is v v useful, you can see organs in relation to others, how it all fits, relative sizes etc, so in that way it was good. The different cadavers are stripped to show different systems - CNS, skeletal, musculature, GI etc.
BUT , I did think that after you;d seen 10, you didn;t want to see anthor 10, bit repetitive.

so why did I go twice? once with a mate, once with my bloke
(his birthday treat).

I did complain to them about the pregnancy and foetal bit, thought it was in poor taste.

As for Prof Gunthers live autopsy on TV, utterly stoopid, bloke had been dead and pickled for ages, so his organs and tissues were a weird colour, not like a real autopsy, that's much more colourful and you wouldn't want that on TV.

There were no plastinated squids tho', just a horse and a rabbit (I know, it upset me more than the humans)
:cry:

To be fair, I once saw a fascinating documentary -- I think it was on the Discovery Channel -- about this place:

Home - Collphyphil

From what I understand, the Mutter Museum was also considered controversial at first (still is by many). Though open to the general public, it is frequented most often by medical students and historians from around the world. Judging from the documentary, it is a rather eerie place because -- in contrast to the sterile "plasticized" cadavers of Prof. Whatzisname -- many of the Mutter's Pickled People date back to over a century ago, thus having a sort of dingy, outré, carnival sideshow "feel" to them. Also, unlike the prof's "specimens", whom I gather are physiologically normal, the Mutter prominently features bizarre medical anomalies and abnormalities that hold a strange fascination for the public (though few would be willing to admit it).

Just :twocents: from
Taningia "Our Medical Exhibit is Weirder Than Yours" Danae

Interesting, I just looked at that website!

I forget to say, in my bit about plastinates, that there were also lots of cases of organs etc with showing different pathologies. This was good, for example we id aneurysms/cva's using CT/MR, but to see an aorta with an anuerysm sort of links it and it makes more sense, we thought of taking our radiography undergrads there.

There is also a museum in a london hospital that has every pathology under the sun in a jar. A lot of these are really old, and hence v interesting as some of these things you just don;t see anymore. They all have a type written history in a book nearby. They also have a section with wax models of skin diseases. It's not open to the public though, just medical/paramedical and art students, we still take our students there.

Nothing squid-like at all here!!!
:wink:

I blame you all for the incredibly horrid images my wife (who is studying mortuary science here at ASU) is downloading at some frightening rate, and rushing into my studio now and again to show me yet again some awful photo...yikes!
" Trying hard to eat again "Greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back