Ringo visits the Octopus' Garden

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Joined
Nov 19, 2002
Messages
3,034
Reaction score
16
The Pythons, The Goons (Milligan, Sellers, Bentine and Secombe), Ivor Cutler (anyone remember him?), and the Bonzo-Dog Do-Dah Band all shared a common Oxford/Cambridge heritage in the early sixties. Ivor appeared in 'A Hard Days Night' in the audience as the Bonzos played 'Death Cab for Cutie' in front of The Beatles who shouted "Get off!"

Indeed, George Harrison had a brief appearance in the hilarious Beatles spoof 'The Rutles' as commentator and the chairman of Apple Corps. 'The Rutles was, of course, a product of Neil Innes (Bonzos and Python's Brave Sir Robin's minstrel) and Eric Idle. It's well worth searching out as the film is hilarious, especially if you have a bizarre sense of humour.

Poor old Vivian Stanshall, the potty lead singer of the Bonzos and good friend of Keith Moon. Shortly before he burned to death in a vodka induced house fire in London in 1995 he recorded a fantastic twenty minute set on BBC2 in which he performed half a dozen semi-autobiographical songs. It's a very sad swan-song to the last of England's true eccentric geniuses. Especially the bit where he complains that a reporter once asked him 'Do you do it any more?' Poor Viv complained, quite rightly, that his eccentricity was not an act and "Would you rather I was a Giant Squid for the day?"

You'll probably know The Bonzo's from 'I'm The Urban Spaceman', probably the least amusing song they ever recorded but, weirdly, the most well known. That single was also produced by Paul McCartney back in 1968!

Now then dare I mention Peter Cook? Or...........The Goodies?

By the way, my favourite Sellers film is 'The Party' too, closely followed by 'The Mouse That Roared' which featured William Hartnell, the first Dr. Who. Hilarious!

(This is all getting very circular, me thinks!)
 

nanoteuthis

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
Joined
Nov 20, 2002
Messages
1,073
Reaction score
23
Yo, Philster (et al)!

The only Goon I don't recall is Bentine, though the name sounds familiar. I remember Harry Secombe as a jolly, rotund chap with a lovely tenor voice, who played the title role in a telly production of PICKWICK (a musical based on the Dickens novel THE PICKWICK PAPERS). PICKWICK the musical was basically undistinguished, with the exception of one memorable song, "If I Ruled the World", with a fine solo rendition thereof by Secombe.

I don't remember Ivor Cutler either. However, your reference to Peter Cook reminded me that I was wrong about Jonathan Miller -- he was not a Goon, but rather a cast member of BEYOND THE FRINGE, which I actually saw during its first Broadway run (need I mention that I am dating myself again?). As I recall BTF was a Goon-inspired, Python-inspiring comic review with a cast of only four: Peter Cook, Jonathan Miller, Alan Bennett (sp?), and -- in his first American appearance -- Dudley Moore. Cook and Moore were reunited in the hilarious original film version of BEDAZZLED, which was more recently re-made with Elizabeth Hurley (as a very attractive Devil) and Brendan Fraser.

The Goodies also strikes a familiar chord. Was that a telly show or a stage review like BTF?

Oh wow, don't you get me started on DOCTOR WHO! As far as I'm concerned, there was only one Doctor, and his name was Tom Baker. And just in case you're not a mind reader, yes, I think he was sexy. So sue me! (And don't you dare accuse me of being weird, 'cause there had to be some reason why there were so many female DW viewers during the Tom Baker "era"!) :wink:

Never heard of Vivian Stanshall, though anyone who made that statement about Giant Squid had to have something going for him! THE PARTY might be considered non-p.c. nowadays, with westerner Sellers playing the role of an (Asian) Indian. However, PS portrayed the character as very gentle and sympathetic. and it remains a delightful film for any era.

One of my personal Sellers favorites is HEAVENS ABOVE, which had great moral depth behind the humor. If you haven't seen it, it is essentially a "tragicomedy" about a simple, compassionate vicar who is erroneously placed in an affluent parish, and subsequently rocks the boat by putting the message of the Sermon on the Mount into action. The film manages to be inspiring and moving without being heavy-handed or "preachy".

OK Phil, the ball is in your court -- I dare you to find a tie-in between Britcoms and cephs before Tony gives us all a "time out".... :roflmao:

The Tanster
"Half-British Since 1950!"
 

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Joined
Nov 19, 2002
Messages
3,034
Reaction score
16
Yo Tani,

As ever, you are right about 'Beyond The Fringe'; The extreme intellects of Peter Cook, Jonathan Miller, Alan Bennett, and Dudley Moore must have been absolutely hilarious. I think Jonathan Miller went on to produce and present an actual autopsy on British TV in the early eighties called 'The Body in Question' years before this Prof. Haagen Daas with his self-publicising plasticised touring exhibition of corpses appeared on the scene. I very jealous you actually saw BTF, I would have been too young to appreciate it at the time but would love to see it now.

Poor old Dudley Moore died last year (I think) of some awful nervous disorder and Peter Cook died about seven or eight years ago. (Derek & Clive, anyone?) The original version of Bedazzled featuring Cook & Moore was a classic too...I always remember the 'Leaping Nuns of St. Beryl', a great moment. Simpler times, methinks!

The Goodies was a TV programme made over ten years or so from the early seventies about three blokes living in a flat who do 'anything anytime'. They were Tim Brooke-Taylor, Graeme Garden and Bill Oddie and all played themselves. Tim was a flag-waving patriot, Graeme a scientist and Bill the short bloke whom the others took the mick out of and was forced to wear large hats. It was very surreal; the episode everyone remembers is where a cute kitten gets injected with a growth hormone and goes on the rampage in London demolishing the Post Office Tower. Most bizarre.

As for the good Doctor, I actually met Tom Baker a couple of years ago at a book signing. He only lives about fifteen miles from me. When I asked him to sign his autobiography he remarked "You have a woman's hand, you know!". I was rather hoping he was alluding to his Blackadder appearance as that insane pirate captain in that episode with Sir Francis Drake, but you never know.....He's completely barking and an ex-trappist monk, but a great man.

As for Viv Stanshall and Ivor Cutler, I'm not really surprised you have not heard of them. They are obscure in the UK, let alone anywhere else. But Viv once wrote a song with the immortal lyric "Do you know anything about breeding axthlotls? They are on the knife-edge of evolution, you know!" so has to be a bit of a demi-god. He kept a turtle in his hotel bedroom and a zebra's bottom mounted on the wall of his flat in Finchley in London to appear as if it was running through the wall. Any man who keeps his own fathers false teeth nailed to his bread board deserves respect. Seek out The Bonzo Dog Band and all will become clear......

I am really trying to figure a way of linking this ramble to cephs, but I just give up. It cannot be done! Sorry Tony!
 

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Joined
May 30, 2000
Messages
9,607
Reaction score
817
Location
Pennsylvania
Tani said:
OK Phil, the ball is in your court -- I dare you to find a tie-in between Britcoms and cephs before Tony gives us all a "time out"....
Then Phil said:
I am really trying to figure a way of linking this ramble to cephs, but I just give up. It cannot be done! Sorry Tony!
Tony says:
:police: Right! Wot's all this then?

This is entirely appropriate discussion for this board! It started out re: Ringo and Octopus' Garden, and naturally progressed into a discussion about... um, somethingorother. So it's all good! Generally speaking, I'd say as long as a conversation begins with something ceph-related, we can all continue the discussion however we see fit... Sure, the Science and Ceph Care forum categories should probably try to stay as focused as possible, but the Culture and General categories are a bit more open-ended, says I. So no apologies needed, and none accepted! :)

PS: Phil, the correct tie-in between your discussion and cephs is as follows: "Speaking of nailing your father's false teeth to your breadboard, did you see Dr. O'Shea's Rhaeboceras radula teeth photos on the Fossils forum? I'll see you there!" :mrgreen:
 

nanoteuthis

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
Joined
Nov 20, 2002
Messages
1,073
Reaction score
23
Phil said:
Yo Tani,

....years before this Prof. Haagen Daas with his self-publicising plasticised touring exhibition of corpses appeared on the scene.
:? I have no idea what you're talking about here -- a Brit show perhaps? But anything related to Haagen-Dazs is OK with me.

Phil said:
I very jealous you actually saw BTF, I would have been too young to appreciate it at the time but would love to see it now.
Ahem.... well now, just to put things in perspective, I saw it with my parents, so I couldn't have been that old. I think.

Phil said:
Poor old Dudley Moore died last year (I think) of some awful nervous disorder and Peter Cook died about seven or eight years ago. (Derek & Clive, anyone?) The original version of Bedazzled featuring Cook & Moore was a classic too...I always remember the 'Leaping Nuns of St. Beryl', a great moment. Simpler times, methinks!
I am sorry to hear about Peter's and Dudley's passing. I know that Dudley had always had health problems -- he was born with a clubfoot and had to undergo multiple surgeries as a young child. I also know that he had a rare disease of some sort, but I didn't know that he eventually succumbed to it. Very sad.

Oh, yeah, I think the nuns were called the "Leaping Bertildas" or something like that. Great film! I was fully prepared to hate the remake before seeing it, but actually it worked pretty well because -- while the premise was the same -- the "wish" scenarios were entirely different and well suited to Brendan Fraser's versatility. Elizabeth Hurley made a delightfully evil "Satan", and I have no doubt that her presence was a pleasant bonus for male filmgoers.

Phil said:
The Goodies was a TV programme made over ten years or so from the early seventies about three blokes living in a flat who do 'anything anytime'..... the episode everyone remembers is where a cute kitten gets injected with a growth hormone and goes on the rampage in London demolishing the Post Office Tower. Most bizarre.
Sounds like a direct inspiration for Terry Gilliam's wonderfully silly "Dinsdale the Hedgehog" cartoons in Monty Python. Or maybe even the Blancmange from Outer Space!

Phil said:
As for the good Doctor, I actually met Tom Baker a couple of years ago at a book signing..... He's completely barking and an ex-trappist monk, but a great man.
What was his book about? (Or was it some sort of DR. WHO tie-in?) I got the impression he was quite brilliant, and like many of his fellow UK actors, perhaps a veteran of the Royal Shakespeare Company. An ex-Trappist, eh? I can just picture him in a monk's habit with that silly scarf around his neck....

I'm not surprised to hear that he's out of his mind. Cool! Most of the other people I like are, too. :wink:

Phil said:
As for Viv Stanshall and Ivor Cutler, I'm not really surprised you have not heard of them. They are obscure in the UK, let alone anywhere else. But Viv once wrote a song with the immortal lyric "Do you know anything about breeding axthlotls? They are on the knife-edge of evolution, you know!" so has to be a bit of a demi-god.....
Indeed. I have always been of the opinion that axolotls know a lot more than they are letting on. And I am not alone in my convictions:

http://www.cis.vt.edu/modernworld/d/axolotl.html

Phil said:
He kept a turtle in his hotel bedroom and a zebra's bottom mounted on the wall of his flat in Finchley in London to appear as if it was running through the wall. Any man who keeps his own fathers false teeth nailed to his bread board deserves respect. Seek out The Bonzo Dog Band and all will become clear......
I can't see anything unusual about keeping one's father's dentures nailed to a bread board, or having a zebra's derrière mounted on one's wall. Doesn't everybody? But keeping a turtle in a hotel bedroom? Now that's a bit over-the-top.

Phil said:
I am really trying to figure a way of linking this ramble to cephs, but I just give up. It cannot be done! Sorry Tony!
Speaking of Phil trying to link this ramble to cephs and then giving up, have I mentioned that this week on Animal Planet's CROC HUNTER DIARIES, the Wiggles will be making an appearance? And that little Bindi Irwin (Daughter of Croc Hunter) really loves them?

Well, I just did!

Tani Banani
 

Clem

Architeuthis
Supporter
Joined
Apr 6, 2003
Messages
1,839
Reaction score
49
TaningiaDanae said:
Phil said:
Yo Tani,

....years before this Prof. Haagen Daas with his self-publicising plasticised touring exhibition of corpses appeared on the scene.
:? I have no idea what you're talking about here -- a Brit show perhaps? But anything related to Haagen-Dazs is OK with me.
Hmm. Actually, the good professor has attained notoriety for publicly exhibiting cadavers preserved by replacing the water in a human body with polymers: "plastination." These cadavers are then arranged in "natural" poses, recumbent or active, and are sometimes flayed and dissected so that muscle groups appear to stream from a "walking" body.

Phil said:
The Goodies was a TV programme made over ten years or so from the early seventies about three blokes living in a flat who do 'anything anytime'..... the episode everyone remembers is where a cute kitten gets injected with a growth hormone and goes on the rampage in London demolishing the Post Office Tower. Most bizarre.
TaningiaDanae said:
Sounds like a direct inspiration for Terry Gilliam's wonderfully silly "Dinsdale the Hedgehog" cartoons in Monty Python. Or maybe even the Blancmange from Outer Space!
Umm, (cough) actually the Hedgehog's name was "Spiny Norman." Dinsdale was one Dinsdale Piranha, half of the dreaded Piranha Brothers crime syndicate, who were feared for the vicious sarcasm, metaphor and hyperbole they would mete out to punish their footsoldiers. Spiny Norman was Dinsdale's nemesis.

"It were the strangest thing I hae ever seen."

-Angus Podgourney (on the Blancmange)

:heee:

Clem Piranha
 

nanoteuthis

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
Joined
Nov 20, 2002
Messages
1,073
Reaction score
23
Clem said:
Hmm. Actually, the good professor has attained notoriety for publicly exhibiting cadavers preserved by replacing the water in a human body with polymers: "plastination." These cadavers are then arranged in "natural" poses, recumbent or active, and are sometimes flayed and dissected so that muscle groups appear to stream from a "walking" body.
[TD nibbles virtuously on a little grape tomato, secretly wishing it were a 7500-calorie Häagen-Dazs Dulce de Leche bar....]

Hmm -- I'll have to look that one up online. Sounds either fascinating or disgusting, or both.

But what I still don't get is, what's ice cream got to do, got to do with it? What's ice cream, but a secondhand emulsion? :headphon:

Clem said:
Umm, (cough) actually the Hedgehog's name was "Spiny Norman." Dinsdale was one Dinsdale Piranha, half of the dreaded Piranha Brothers crime syndicate, who were feared for the vicious sarcasm, metaphor and hyperbole they would mete out to punish their footsoldiers. Spiny Norman was Dinsdale's nemesis.

"It were the strangest thing I hae ever seen."

-Angus Podgourney (on the Blancmange)
Mea maxima culpa! Does this mean I have to forfeit my Gumby hat? Or, worse, that you're reporting me to the Spanish Inquisition? Or will the penguin on my telly merely explode? Meet me over at the Argument Clinic and we will debate this in a rational manner -- unless of course you are into mere contradiction.

Taningia the "D", Aspiring Finalist
Guinness Book of World Records'
"Most MONTY PYTHON Non-Sequiturs in One TONMO Message Board Post"
Competition
:mrgreen:
 

The Moog

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Joined
May 14, 2003
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
I have been to the aforementioned Prof gunther thingy plastinated bodyworlds TWICE! And yes, I was weighing up the sensationalism vs educational usefulness issue. if you are studying anatomy, then it is v v useful, you can see organs in relation to others, how it all fits, relative sizes etc, so in that way it was good. The different cadavers are stripped to show different systems - CNS, skeletal, musculature, GI etc.
BUT , I did think that after you;d seen 10, you didn;t want to see anthor 10, bit repetitive.

so why did I go twice? once with a mate, once with my bloke
(his birthday treat).

I did complain to them about the pregnancy and foetal bit, thought it was in poor taste.

As for Prof Gunthers live autopsy on TV, utterly stoopid, bloke had been dead and pickled for ages, so his organs and tissues were a weird colour, not like a real autopsy, that's much more colourful and you wouldn't want that on TV.

There were no plastinated squids tho', just a horse and a rabbit (I know, it upset me more than the humans)
:cry:
 



Forum statistics

Threads
19,588
Messages
203,025
Members
8,473
Latest member
Aviaw

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards
Top