Rigby!

SandV,
When very small, some of my Mercs would grab and "suck" my fingers with all their might. Now, the ones that reach out to touch (almost 9 months and full adults) do so only as experiementation and do not grab. Sisturus is the most "touchey" and he occassionally use my fingers as a spring board to hop up out of the water. It scares him so much he darts away but will do it again in a week or so (I put three of 4 fingers near the surface and wiggle them but do no try to follow with my hand). On the other hand, we started a sticky thread for people to report octo bite stories and you will find it entertaining if you have not read it: Octopus Bites

I have read it and it was very intertaining but I could not remember if Nancy was on that list.

Yeah.. I don't really know his intentions... I think he wanted to just see what I was because he did not try to suck on me like with food... but I think he wanted me to think that he was looking for food and not know that he was interested in me... because he is the boss... he is our master... "no, not shrimp, I want a crab"... lol

Update: Rigby is missing a leg... and it has been an eventful night... get out the damsels and doing a water change.. Until yesterday he was doing really well and eating like a pig... yesterday i don't know if he ate at all or gave it to the bristle worms... he did not eat tonight but i will try again in the morning...

he is afraid of shane's hand but will touch mine...lol... shane doens't think it is near as funny as I do... he is actually afraid of his hand...

I hope Rigby is going to be ok... I checked everything...

pics

100_0996.jpg

100_0994.jpg

100_0992.jpg

100_0991.jpg

100_0990.jpg

SandV,
I think you can discount the bristles too. My pygmy tank is loaded with them (they thrive on Cyclop-eeze and sometimes it is hard to determine if I am looking at an octo arm or a worm) and several larger ones live under Miss Broody's den and actually try to take her shrimp when I feed. This is almost a good thing as she will make me stand uncomfortably for a few minutes before deciding her gormet dinner is properly served UNLESS a bristle trys for the shrimp. She does not like the competition and will push the worm away and eat.

Hopefully, Jean will stop celebrating (not for long of course) and check-in. I think I remember her saying that octos with the arm eating disease (am I lazy tonight or what) start at the tips and not at the body. If my memory is correct, then the arm damage is most likely something in the tank rather than self-inflicted but nothing you have mentioned is even remotely likely to be responsible. Unfortunately that makes me very concerned that your live rock is housing one of Roy's (Neogonodactylus) mantis shrimp buddies or another form of nocturnal preditor.

no power heads just an octopus 150 reserc skimmer and a magnum canister filter... but the pump to the skimmer is in an acrylic box..... it is remotely possible that he got his arm threw the holes of the box and into the pump... but he has never even showed interest in it... and i don't think it would take that much of his arm... i will post picks tonight but it will be like 11 pm mst...

I don't think there is anything in the tank... it didn't have any fish or anything in it when i got it... they had it set up with only mushrooms.. and last night i pulled all the rock out and looked it over and took out some of the huge bristle worms....

he must have gotten into it with a hermit.... they are not too big for him.... but he is special so i guess we just need to give him miniture food...lol.. i ask him if his mom dropped him on his head...lol... he still doesn't kill fiddlers.. although i haven't given him any live ones in a while... but he doesn't know what to do with it if i don't cut it in half for him... and he don't do ANYTHING with the meat in the claw.. i don't know if he can't get into it or if he doesn't know there is is meat inside of it too...

Rigby is doing good.. he comes out to see me :smile: .... but he is still shy toward Shane... He fed him last night and it took him a long time to come and get it... but when i put my hand in the tank he just runs out for me... even if i don't have food... I think he can "smell" me and trusts me more... He is just so cute....

I haven't updated this in forever... Rigby is doing great ... he is growing like a weed... but does NOT like Shane being in his tank or watching him eat his dinner... he wants to protect his food from him... he will bob up and down motioning for him to fight... and Shane just shakes his head and says no, no I am not going to fight you... he is very careful when in his tank not to make him too mad or go near him... when he is cleaning the glass or doing water changes Rigby just sits up on his shell and gives him the eagle eye....

Question/Observation: when we do a water change and add the new water to the tank Rigby will take his arms and rub his mantle and body all over like new water makes him itch... does anyone else have theirs do that? He gets everything rubbed down and then he is fine..

last night Rigby decided he was going to take his clam on to the side of a rock and eat it there... he was holding this clam up in the tank eating... it is about it size of him... he is so crazy some times...

I don't think I ever got an answer: do all octos try to take things into places that they wont fit? like trying to get a square peg in a round hole...

The other night Olorin took the feeding stick from me and tried to pull it into his den sideways.The next morning it was about halfway in just about bent in half.Now I have a feeding stick that looks like a boomarang(sp?).

lol... that is funny... at least I know that he is not the only one... because if you read back Rigby is "special" ... he wouldn't have made it in the ocean...

SandV,
I have wondered about water changes (slight shift in PH and salinity) and skin sensitivity but not observed a reaction. I have a small sump and change the water there in hopes that it mixes before getting to Octane. He seems to get a little more active (I change about a gallon a day) but I don't notice any itching. The smaller tank for two of my Mercs has no sump but I don't notice anything with them.

For info, can you do a strip PH test and salinity check on your tank and the new water to see if there is a detectable difference?

I always have to grin when you call him "special". Is he killing his own crabs yet?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back