Rex/Dux?

Octomatt

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all...

I've got a question that been bugging me for years and this might be just the forum to finally get it answered!

Somewhere I once heard of an Archeteuthis species called Archeteuthis Rex. Is there actually such a creature? I was under the impression that this was the scientific term for teh Giant Squid, however, I've also heard it referred to as Archeteithis Dux. Is there a difference, and if so, what is it?
:?:
Thanks for reading and replying!

Matt

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
Hi Matt,

Welcome to TONMO.com!

Hmm... I'm by no means the last authority on this subject (or the first, or in the middle, in fact), but to me Architeuthis Rex sounds like a name for a fanciful morphed beast, combining Architeuthis Dux and Tyrannosaurus Rex. I like the imagery... but wasn't able to find anything substantial written about such an idea when I did some quick looking... :?

Side note, when I did a search on Google for Tyrannosaurus Rex, I got 66,600 results. *shudder*

:shock:

Octomatt

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for checking, Tony! And thanks for the response. This one has been bugging me for years! I'm not sure where I first heard REX used, but it seems indeed to be bogus. I couldn't find anything on it either.

Thanks again!

Matt

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
tonmo said:
Hmm... I'm by no means the last authority on this subject (or the first, or in the middle, in fact), but to me Architeuthis Rex sounds like a name for a fanciful morphed beast, combining Architeuthis Dux and Tyrannosaurus Rex.
Tony, spot on - there's no such animal (squid) as Architeuthis rex (just A. dux, the duke).
O

Octomatt

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Still in amazement that THE Steve O'Shea responded to my post. :shock:

Gotta wonder though...a cross between the giant squid and the Tyranusaurus. Sounds fun to me! :lol:

Matt

Octomatt

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and thanks for not pointing out my spelling atrocities...

arch I teuthis. :P

GeoffC

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
:spongebo: Wow!

OK dudes what an idea! A cross between a T.rex and a A.dux What in the wide world that would be like I do not know but the idea...!!! Cool!

I've been away for a few weeks, I come back and suddenly there's double the members and a huge (one might almost say collosal) squid story - wow guys its AWE-SOME and then SOME!!

PS I heard about it on Yahoo and their news guy must have read the NZ papers - it had the bit about dinner plate sized eyes and swivelling hooks but they seemed to keep a sense of proportion they restricted themselves to saying if you fell into the water with it 'you'd be in trouble' rather than 'if you live less than 50 storeys above ground you're dead meat'

Thanks a bundle for the news Steve, d'ya think Mesonychoteuthis rather than Architeuthis is the origin of the old mariners tales? Or is it a case of Grogiteuthis brandiensis?

Cheers - Geoff :meso:

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
GeoffC said:
Or is it a case of Grogiteuthis brandiensis?

Cheers - Geoff :meso:
Wow! i didnt know cephs and their fans were susceptable to the cocktail flu.... :cheers: how foolish could i have been? everyone knows the legend of the silly octopi... :)

tomossan

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
im not sure, but i think that if the collosal squid (:meso: RAR) had been responsile for the early tales their hooks (bladey things) would have featured heavily in reports, instead of just tentacle yarns....

do you see where im coming from? i woudl think it would be a major part of reports, and i read somewhere else on Tonmo that :meso: ranged deeper than archi... maybe they dont coem to the surface as often (and even with an Archi its rare)

i dont know, i am by NO means an expert, but reading that set me thinking :)

:meso: RARARRARAR

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shady

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean