• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

[Retitled]: didn't get the octopus I ordered

jimmy

Cuttlefish
Registered
hi my name is jimmy i have been a member but never wrote a post. i orderd a vulgaris from a place called aquaculture pets. i got it today and it yurned out to be a pygmy. i paid 135 dollars for a freekin pygmy. very upset. the owner said there is nothing he could do about it.atleast im almost possitive its a pygmy. he said it was a common atlantic octo. he has a bit of a red ting to him. does anyone know what it is? could it still be a vulgaris he is very small. my bimac is 5 times the size of him and the bimac is 6 months old.does anyone know where i can buy a vulgaris? i was planing on putting him in my 300 gal. well thanks jimmy.

the most likely pygmy octo from the atlantic is mercatoris, I'd say you should compare your octo to some of the merc pictures. Dwhatley has a lot of good pictures of here octo "Trapper" and her offspring, if you search for "trapper" they should be easy to find.

I'm not aware of any reliable sources for vulgaris, but it's possible someone else knows them. I'm sorry to hear you didn't get what you were after, it sounds like the LFS owner is rather unreasonable, but that's really not too uncommon. I'm not sure why this is any different from someone asking for a German Shepherd and being given a Yorkshire Terrier, but many LFS owners don't see it that way.

www.nyaquatics.com had some octos labeled as vulgaris for sale not too long ago. Shipping was pretty reasonable, came out to be less than $100 total for shipping to Texas. Looks like they currently only have a pygmy in stock.

Now.. if the girlfriend hadn't been so determined to have a 140 gallon seahorse tank I would be able to tell you if they know the ones they had really were O. vulgaris for sure.

also my brierius for sure has a mantel full of eggs. i used a flashlight like candeling a egg. and i could see alot. i kind of figured she was going to lay eggs. about 6 days after buying her she went into hiding a never came out again even at night. are the babys raiseable?

i just got off the internet with mike from ny he is out. he was calling them bali octos thats why i was asking if they are the same as o.v. anyway none till next week.

Yes. They sure are. You'll probably have hundreds of them. You should search for Joefish's thread about "Conanny". Lots of details and pictures about his briareus' eggs.

found it thankyou jimmy. ill keep everyone posted. mabey i can have someone show me how to down load pics when she lays her eggs thanks again everyone jimmy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back