[Retitled]: didn't get the octopus I ordered

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by jimmy, Mar 18, 2008.

1. jimmy

jimmy Cuttlefish Registered

hi my name is jimmy i have been a member but never wrote a post. i orderd a vulgaris from a place called aquaculture pets. i got it today and it yurned out to be a pygmy. i paid 135 dollars for a freekin pygmy. very upset. the owner said there is nothing he could do about it.atleast im almost possitive its a pygmy. he said it was a common atlantic octo. he has a bit of a red ting to him. does anyone know what it is? could it still be a vulgaris he is very small. my bimac is 5 times the size of him and the bimac is 6 months old.does anyone know where i can buy a vulgaris? i was planing on putting him in my 300 gal. well thanks jimmy.

2. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

the most likely pygmy octo from the atlantic is mercatoris, I'd say you should compare your octo to some of the merc pictures. Dwhatley has a lot of good pictures of here octo "Trapper" and her offspring, if you search for "trapper" they should be easy to find.

I'm not aware of any reliable sources for vulgaris, but it's possible someone else knows them. I'm sorry to hear you didn't get what you were after, it sounds like the LFS owner is rather unreasonable, but that's really not too uncommon. I'm not sure why this is any different from someone asking for a German Shepherd and being given a Yorkshire Terrier, but many LFS owners don't see it that way.

3. dreadhead

dreadhead Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

If you could post a some pics it would help ID your octo.And any other info you can give will help.Is it diurnal or nocturnal?

4. fishkid6692

fishkid6692 Vampyroteuthis Supporter

saltwaterfish.com has vulgaris for sale. you might want to try them.

5. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

www.nyaquatics.com had some octos labeled as vulgaris for sale not too long ago. Shipping was pretty reasonable, came out to be less than $100 total for shipping to Texas. Looks like they currently only have a pygmy in stock.

Now.. if the girlfriend hadn't been so determined to have a 140 gallon seahorse tank I would be able to tell you if they know the ones they had really were O. vulgaris for sure.

6. Animal Mother

They do? You confirmed this?

7. Animal Mother

No, probably A. aculeatus.

8. jimmy

also my brierius for sure has a mantel full of eggs. i used a flashlight like candeling a egg. and i could see alot. i kind of figured she was going to lay eggs. about 6 days after buying her she went into hiding a never came out again even at night. are the babys raiseable?

9. jimmy

i just got off the internet with mike from ny he is out. he was calling them bali octos thats why i was asking if they are the same as o.v. anyway none till next week.

10. Animal Mother

Yes. They sure are. You'll probably have hundreds of them. You should search for Joefish's thread about "Conanny". Lots of details and pictures about his briareus' eggs.

11. jimmy

ny aquatics is out till next week. but he is calling them bali octos

12. jimmy

can you help me find joefishs thread im not exactly a computer person i can bearly turn it on.

13. Animal Mother

14. jimmy

found it thankyou jimmy. ill keep everyone posted. mabey i can have someone show me how to down load pics when she lays her eggs thanks again everyone jimmy

15. fishkid6692

fishkid6692 Vampyroteuthis Supporter

o really sorry lol. i meant saltwaterearth.com....sorry for the confusion!

16. Animal Mother

Haha... that is confusing!

17. jimmy

hi just to let everone know i ordered two baby ov from ny aquatics about 4 months ago and got pygmys that came dead. he did not cover it. i still have them in my camera. i will down load them to let you see them. mabey someone can identify them. im waiting for my sister to come over to show me how to down load the pics. and the pic. of the pygmy that was supposed to be a o.v that turned out to be a merc. thanks jimmy