Research Proposal - Octopus Patterning

chejjjj

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for ideas to do a proposal that I could do for a research that has not be fully or looked into at all. In octopus patterning I am looking at something in the camouflage department of it. Any suggestions or places I could look for some ideas would be of a big help.

robyn

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Chejjj.

Roger Hanlon has done a lot of stuff on cuttlefish colouring and camouflage - theres a new paper out showing they also camouflage at night, which is pretty cool. There might be some good ideas applicable to octopuses in those studies. Off hand I can't think of any papers on octopus camo, but I'm sure plenty of people here can help you better than I can.

Good luck with the proposal.

Robyn.

chejjjj

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I have been talking with Dr. Hanlon and I had him send me that paper so I could read it over. I ended up deciding that I am going to be comparing a primarily nocturnal octopus, O. macropus, and a diurnal octopus, O. vulgaris, that live in similar habitats and see if there is any difference in patterning

chejjjj

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
my project is coming along nicely but I was just wondering if anyone knows how much of a diameter for hole that an O. vulgaris or O. macropus with a mantle length of 13-15 cm would be able to squeeze through. I need it for some containment details of a pen I am creating. I don't want to just make it really tiny just small enough that I will have some give on the size needed to keep them contained. Thanks in advance!

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
Generally speaking and octopus can sqeeze through a hole that is just a little bigger than the diameter of their beak! Sorry I don't know the beak size for these species.

J

chejjjj

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I have. I was just wondering if anyone knew the size ofthe beak but i have figured out a way around this

chejjjj

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
well ran into my next wall, does anyone know or knows of a place where I can find out if ophichthus ophis (spotted snake eel) is a visual predator?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfst37

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards