Research paper. Hot of the press

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2004
Messages
4,887
#2
cool and congrats! That sounds like it'll be of great interest to the gut-contents specialists among us!
 

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Joined
Nov 19, 2002
Messages
4,668
#4
This is truly EXCELLENT stuff! Adam, congrats and thanks for sharing! (I'm catching up with George tomorrow; he's in the country now).

"Following a change in diet, the fatty acid profile of the cuttlefish digestive gland reflected that of the new diet within 14 days. The results confirm that the fatty acid profile of the cuttlefish digestive gland clearly reflects the profile of its recent diet. It also shows that the digestive gland may not be an organ that accumulates dietary lipids for long-term storage, but rather is an organ where lipids are rapidly being turned over and potentially excreted."
 

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Joined
Nov 19, 2002
Messages
4,218
Location
Dunedin, New Zealand
#5
Steve O'Shea;111475 said:
This is truly EXCELLENT stuff! Adam, congrats and thanks for sharing! (I'm catching up with George tomorrow; he's in the country now).

"Following a change in diet, the fatty acid profile of the cuttlefish digestive gland reflected that of the new diet within 14 days. The results confirm that the fatty acid profile of the cuttlefish digestive gland clearly reflects the profile of its recent diet. It also shows that the digestive gland may not be an organ that accumulates dietary lipids for long-term storage, but rather is an organ where lipids are rapidly being turned over and potentially excreted."
Thanks Adam, good stuff!

Interesting stuff. I often wondered about the function of the digestive gland. If indeed it was storage for lipids etc then one would expect to see it shrinking in non feeding periods (assuming the storage was there to be used) which I did not see in the albeit small number of mature N. sloanii I had. Hmmmm food for thought there.

Say Hi to George from me when you see him!

J
 

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
20,174
Location
Gainesville, GA
#9
Steve's empty stomached whales bring up a question for biology neophyte. Is there something similar to the digestive gland in mammals?
 

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2004
Messages
4,887
#11
dwhatley;111526 said:
Steve's empty stomached whales bring up a question for biology neophyte. Is there something similar to the digestive gland in mammals?
I think it shares some of the digestive functions (but not the blood filtration functions) with the human liver, but I'm nervous about going out on a limb like this with all the squid-gut-physiologists out there. The wikipedia squid page does say "liver (or digestive gland)" which gives me confidence to at least post, but they're at least as likely to get the details wrong as I am....
 

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Joined
Nov 19, 2002
Messages
4,218
Location
Dunedin, New Zealand
#13
dwhatley;111526 said:
Steve's empty stomached whales bring up a question for biology neophyte. Is there something similar to the digestive gland in mammals?
It's classified as a hepato-renal gland, so has functions somewhat similar to a liver/kidney complex.

J
 

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Joined
May 30, 2000
Messages
9,391
Location
Pennsylvania
#14
Congrats marinebio guy!
 

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2004
Messages
4,887
#15
Jean;111558 said:
It's classified as a hepato-renal gland, so has functions somewhat similar to a liver/kidney complex.

J
Hmm, so it has a digestive and a filtration/excretion function, like a mammal liver? That seems surprising... I wonder if that implies that excretion and digestion were combined in an organ in the last common bilaterian ancestor? I don't know much about guts, livers, and such in invertebrates, though, so I'm really just thinking on my feet here... I'm sitting in on a class that's in the midst of covering the evolution of the bilateria so it's on my mind...
 

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Joined
May 30, 2000
Messages
9,391
Location
Pennsylvania
#18
Great pic! Two cephy greats in one photo -- thanks Steve.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
19,354
Messages
201,862
Members
8,276
Latest member
AquariumDepot

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards
Top