RESEARCH OPPORTUNITY, whales and squid, Feb 2004

Thanks

Thanks!

The way I got my screen is like this: I keep forgeting my screen name on a lot of multi-player games such as Battlefield, Runescape and C&C seris, so I just use that all the rest of my online stuff. Chrono means teleport or something...

:hmm: In editing the original post for this thread a message popped up to say 'text too long'. So I've had to remove the references and post them separately. Sorry. The following links to the first post in this thread.

References
Barros, N.B.; Clarke, M.R. 2002. Diet. The encyclopedia of marine mammals, Perrin, W. F., Würsig, B. and Thewissen, J. G. M. (eds.) Academic Press, San Diego. 1414pp.

Brabyn, M.W. 1991. An analysis of the New Zealand whale stranding record. Science & Research Series. Report No. 29. Department of Conservation, Wellington, New Zealand. 47pp.

Candela, S.M. 1987. Cephalopod prey of pygmy and dwarf sperm whales (Kogia breviceps and K. simus) stranded in Florida and Georgia. Abstract. Seventh biennial conference on the biology of marine mammals, Dec.5-7, 1987. Miami, Florida, USA.

Clarke, M.R. 1980: Cephalopoda in the diet of sperm whales of the Southern Hemisphere and their bearing on sperm whale biology. Discovery Reports 37: 1-324.

Clarke, M.R.; MacLeod, N. 1982. Cephalopod remains from the stomachs of sperm whales caught in the Tasman Sea. Memoirs of the National Museum of Victoria, 43: 25-42.

Clarke, M.R. (Ed.) 1986. A Handbook for the identification of cephalopod beaks. Oxford University Press. Oxford. 273p.

Clarke, M.R. 1996a. The role of cephalopods in the world’s oceans: general conclusions and the future. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, B, 351: 1105-1112.

Clarke M.R. 1996b. Cephalopods as prey: cetaceans. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, B, 351:1053-1065.

Clarke, M.R.; Roper, C.F.E. 1998. Cephalopods represented by beaks in the stomach of a sperm whale stranded at Paekakariki, North Island, New Zealand. South African Journal of Marine Science, 20: 129-133.

Cryer, M; Hartill, B.; O’Shea, S. 2002. Modification of marine benthos by trawling: towards a generalization for the deep ocean? Ecological Applications 12(6): 1824-1839.

Dalebout, M.L. 2002. Species identity, genetic diversity & molecular systematic relationships among the Ziphiidae (beaked whales). Ph.D. thesis. School of Biological Sciences, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand. 385pp.

Gaskin, D.E. Cawthorn, M.W. 1967a. Diet and feeding habits of the sperm whale (Physeter catodon L.) in the Cook Strait region of New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research, 1(1): 156-179.

Gaskin, D.E. Cawthorn, M.W. 1967b. Squid mandibles from the stomachs of sperm whales (Physeter catodon L.) captured in the Cook Strait region of New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research, 1(1): 59-70.

Hitchmough, R. (comp.) 2002. New Zealand Threat Classification lists (Department of Conservation) Threatened species occasional publication 23: 210pp.

MacLeod, C.D.; Santos, M.B.; Pierce, G.J. 2003. Review of data on diets of beaked whales: evidence of niche separation and geographic segregation. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the U. K. 83: 651-665.

O’Shea, S. 1997. Status of three Octopoda recorded from New Zealand, based on beaks recovered from long-distance foraging marine predators. New Zealand Journal of Zoology, 24(3): 265-266.

O’Shea, S. 1999. The Marine Fauna of New Zealand: Octopoda (Mollusca: Cephalopoda). NIWA Biodiversity Memoir 112: 280pp.

Plön, S.E.E.; Bernard, R.T.F.; Klages, N.T.K.; Cockcroft, V.G. 1999. Stomach content analysis of pygmy and dwarf sperm whales and its ecological implications: is there niche partitioning? European Research on Cetaceans-13. Proceedings of the 13th Annual Conference of the European Cetacean Society, Valencia, Spain, 5-8 April 1999. Vancouver, Canada. 28 Nov.-3 Dec. 2001.

Ross, G.J.B. 1979. Records of pygmy and dwarf sperm whales, genus Kogia, from southern Africa, with biological notes and some comparisons. Annals of the Cape Provincial Museums (Natural History) 11(14): 259-327.

Tuohy, M.; Stratton, M.; Duignan, P.; Jones, G.; Davies, A.; Smith, M.H.; Quirk, J.; Van Helden, A.; Plön, S.; Baker, C.S. 2001. Pygmy sperm whale (Kogia breviceps) strandings in New Zealand: Distribution patterns based on age, sex, and reproductive status. 14th Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals, Vancouver, Canada. Nov.28-Dec.3. 2001.

Wang, M.C.; Walker, W.A.; Shao, K.T.; Chou, L.S. 2002. Comparative analysis of the diets of pygmy sperm whales and dwarf sperm whales in Taiwanese waters. Acta Zoologica Taiwanica 13(2): 53-62.

And I should add here that the Physeter component of this research project has also been taken.

As in a funded postdoc? I guess so. Not at this point in time, but things change from one day to the next. Are you aware of any funding that could be applied for?

Funding in Australia.....yes. Whether I can get funding from the Australian government to study in New Zealand I have no idea. It's something I could check out....and will.
Please let me know if anything becomes available as I am longing to work with cephalopods again and enjoy ecology and marine conservation more than i do fish vaccination.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back