Refugiam prep, tank make over, and a new chapter!

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
Featured Thread #41
LOL, now you know why I mentioned that size of the food seems important and why it is so hard to tell if they are eating. One thing that seems to help is to add some floating seaweed/algae to the breeder. I am not sure if this helps because the cuttles like to hang out in it or if the food congregates there and are easier to find (or both). I found that frozen daphnia and very, very gentle water movement helped keep the mysid alive MUCH longer.

KD5054

GPO
Registered
Haha-yeah no kidding. Yeah- I actually did add some Kato (spelling?) for that reason as well as a small rock I figure pods might be in. Wasn't sure how much to add. I also have just a small amount of sand in there for them as well. (will post photos when my phone to computer is working)
I also ordered some Grass Shrimp as recommended by the video to use for feeding this breed of cuttlefish. I figure I can add them to my refugium and get them going for when they are older or if luck maybe catch the larvae if they breed in the tank. I saw the video this was recommended as the most nutritious.
I am supposed to get the Mysid shrimp hopefully Tuesday which I will add and try the frozen daphnia. For now I have to cross my fingers the itty bitty pod critters in the tank will be suitable. Which they look about the right size. But hard to tell like you said.
My goal here-is to one day get all this down to a charm. ;) So is the hope.

KD5054

GPO
Registered
Here are some photos of what I have set up. I have the eggs separated from the one hatchling for the time being for fear of a size difference. The little guy that hatched has been mild to moderate in activity. Moving from on top of a shell to the side of it and has displayed some very nice colors. I still am not sure what it is eating. I have some very small pods in there as well as a few larger ones. I have myisis shrimp coming but alas they will not get here for at least another day or two with it being the weekend. Always scared I'm going to find him floating...hope I don't as he is pretty cute.
Should I add more seaweed/algae? Wasn't sure how much to add.

Also I was finally able to get my auto-top off going. Once I finally found directions for it. Turns out to be worth the hefty price I paid for it as its super quiet and working great!

Attachments

DWhatley

Staff member
I am not sure that it matters but you might let some of the Cheato float along the top. If you try floating some of it, journal any differences you see behavior (including none)

KD5054

GPO
Registered
I have shrimp that is supposed to be shipped and arrive by Thursday. I hope this is fast enough as with the weekend it was the only option I could find for them. Hence the rush.
I am working on trying to figure out a weekly order set up for Mysid shrimp for the small stage and while working on that I am going to see if I cant start getting some of the glass shrimp that was recommended as the best source for feeding the larger size going in my refugium and perhaps a few in my main tank as there is nothing in there.
The eggs have not yet hatched-is there a reference of how long they take to hatch?
But I have the one little guy who came as a surprise that I hope I can get food for him in time. He seems fairly active moving around a bit. I have different size copepods in there for him and some small things. Not a ton as I don't want to make him feel scared but hopefully enough for him to hold out until Thursday.

DWhatley

Staff member
Typically, the eggs tend to get a little more transparent as hatching nears. However, it is likely these are all from the same clutch so anything goes.

It is not unusual for hatchlings to not appear to eat for a couple of days so I suspect you are good. A big concern would have been if the hatchling still had a yolk sack attached but your first little guy seems to have fully incubated.

KD5054

GPO
Registered
So far I've hatched 3 out of 4 cuttlefish and they are all appearing to be doing well. I've been adding a few mysid shrimp every day for them. Though I've never seen them eat the shrimp seem to be dissapearing. So hopeful there.
What are thoughts/recommendation on doing a water change?- should I do a normal one on my large tank that the nursery pulls water from or should I do less of a water change?

DWhatley

Staff member
How big is the main tank and how heavily populated/fed? Anecdotal evidence suggests that octopus hatchlings are extremely sensitive to slight water parameter changes but I don't know if the same holds true (I am thinking not) with cuttles. Maybe do a half change or even 2 half changes, splitting the full change over a week?

DWhatley

Staff member
With the main display being that small, I would make any water changes VERY small at any given time. As I mentioned, this may not be a major concern with cuttles and you don't want to let the quality slide but minimizing changes to salt and PH would be my concern with octos.

KD5054

GPO
Registered
Do you think I will still be alright with making water changes (small ones) every week? At this point the cuttlefish are still about pea size so I do not believe they are making too much waste but I could be mistaken.
I do not have much in my tank other then a serpent starfish, hermits, and a few snails.

DWhatley

Staff member
With the limited polluters, maybe even a small change every 2 weeks until they are all eating frozen mysis, crabs or shore shrimp (heavier polluters)

KD5054

GPO
Registered
Cuttleclan update:

So far so good. I have had the first cuttlefish now for over a week and the other two for just about a week long. Still waiting for the last egg to hatch which looks like it could be anytime soon.

I am having luck with Mysid shrimp. Keeping them alive with these instructions:
"
1. A shallow plastic container like a shoe box (up to 200), or sweater box (up to 2000) size is recommended.

2. Airstone with medium air.

3. 3 to 4 inches of Salt Water at 1.014 sp or above. Temperatures can range from 60F to 80F. (I'm currently just using room temp)

4. Feed daily ground flake, or fresh hatched brine shrimp. Frozen freshed hatched brineshrimp will do. (Feeding flake and frozen brineshrimp)

5. A water change of 30 to 50 % should be made every 3 days.

6. Use a fine mesh net to move them.

7. Use as feed to other animals after the mysis have been fed."

And have been ordering from this site: Mysid shrimp for sale at Sachs Systems Aquaculture
Which I have found to be the best priced and have been very pleased with the shrimp they send. It also helps that you are not bound to ordering thousands at a time. I have been ordering around 50 per week for starters to see how they would do and to keep from any waste as they do not live long.

I have yet to see the baby cuttlefish eat them but as they seem to go MIA through the day I think they are doing the job as the cuttlefish look good so far.

DWhatley

Staff member
LOL, the second I saw your first care item, I knew the vendor! Love Paul and have been a customer for years (starting way back when I kept seahorses). I had the opportunity to visit his facility in 2010 and posted a mini-tcon entry here

KD5054

GPO
Registered
Awesome!
Yeah his shrimp he sent me were awesome and they are staying alive which also shows good health when they came in.
I am not sure how I found him but he is perfect for me. All the other sites were like for orders of 5000 shrimp as a minimum and their shipping put it over a hundred dollars. OUCH*

Super glad to hear he comes with a good background and I will definitely be both a dedicated customer and a referral for him. :)

KD5054

GPO
Registered
So far so good. The last cuttlefish egg hatched over a week ago and all are doing well. I've now had the first hatchling for a few weeks now and he seems to be doing well.
Today was also the first day I was actually able to witness them catch and eat their mysid shrimp dinner. Which was super exciting and rewarding to see things starting to pay off.
Already feel as if personalities are coming through. I have one who has a fetish for the small rock I put in with them. He keeps hanging close to it and I have on a number of times found him either climbing into it or on it. Such as the photo I posted.
The only dilemma I currently have is that one of them is an inker. I have to pull out small amounts of ink every now. Not quite sure what is setting him off or perhaps he is just an inker.
32162822_10204924583870028_194950442466148352_n.jpg

KD5054

GPO
Registered
So far so good. At a little over 4 weeks of age I'm seeing more color patterning shown as well as they seem to be starting to watch me more.
Is there a reliable feeding guidelines somewhere? So far I'm feeding around 2 mysid shrimp per cuttlefish per day. This seems to be satisfying them but I'm also guessing they should start eating more as they get bigger.

DWhatley

Staff member
With octopuses, I feed as much as it will eat at a meal and experiment off and on by offering too much, removing the excess and adjusting. I don't think we have a definitive quantity at age post or even experimental numbers/quantity for either cuttlefish or octopuses.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmvp0609

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak