Refugiam prep, tank make over, and a new chapter!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, serpents and brittles are fine with either. The only warning is to keep them from the eggs. I know they will eat octopus eggs and suspect cuttle eggs may also be on their menu.

TONMO does a cephalopod conference every two years. TONMOcon VII will be this April in Boston. Until this opportunity to have it at Woods Hole, we had been alternating East and West coasts. This would normally have been a West Coast event but there was no way to pass up this location.

KD5054

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
Question on the refugium- I've added Kato and some and pieces of live rock. My question is I've been told I don't need sand in there due to having sand in the main tank- is it alright to add a small layer inside it more for looks as well as I was going to add a frogfish in there? Or does it matter?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Unless you create a deep sand bed, adding sand to your refugium won't be particularly beneficial and it will need regular cleaning but, if kept clean, won't harm anything and would provide substrate for macro algae.

KD5054

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
Unless you create a deep sand bed, adding sand to your refugium won't be particularly beneficial and it will need regular cleaning but, if kept clean, won't harm anything and would provide substrate for macro algae.
What is the best recommend way to set up a refugium long term- using it as a live filter?
I'm getting confused on this.
Is it better to add the sand and then the algae as a filter sort. Or better to just have Kato and small rocks in it?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
You are pretty much into preference rather than best practice territory so reviewing more tank oriented literature or forums for ideas and experimental results will give you a better idea of how you may want to proceed. Some people really like their refugiums to be small display tanks, some use their sumps. I gave up on using the sump as a refugium because of the additional work and lighting requirements. If your refugium is also your sump I would recommend not using sand to avoid complications with the pumps.

KD5054

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
You are pretty much into preference rather than best practice territory so reviewing more tank oriented literature or forums for ideas and experimental results will give you a better idea of how you may want to proceed. Some people really like their refugiums to be small display tanks, some use their sumps. I gave up on using the sump as a refugium because of the additional work and lighting requirements. If your refugium is also your sump I would recommend not using sand to avoid complications with the pumps.
Got it! Thanks! :)

KD5054

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
Just found out that I've of the corals should to me as a mushroom coral may actually be a plate coral- are these safe to have? They do say that they are semiggressive and can sting other corals. A fellow hobbiest wasn't certain if they were safe for octopus.

Attachments

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
No, a plate coral would not be a good tank mate for an octopus. I can't tell much from the photo. Does it have hard shell?

KD5054

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
No, a plate coral would not be a good tank mate for an octopus. I can't tell much from the photo. Does it have hard shell?
I honestly can't tell. It feels soft except for a small straight piece that it seems to be sitting on. The piece itself is jelly soft like in texture.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
You may have a Ricordea mushroom vs a plate coral. A plate coral will have a hard skeleton in the shape of a disk (plate). A Ricordea mushroom has no hard parts but will attach to a piece of coral or rock. Check out the pictures I have linked and see if either match your coral (I suspect the Ricordea). Unfortunately, Ricordea do sting and are not recommended for an octopus tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meisenstein

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards