"Reef Life" Nov/Dec 2009

sedna

Architeuthis
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Am I blind? I'm not very patient at using the search tool, but I'm surprised that I can't find a post about the new issue of Reef Life magazine somewhere! It features some great articles by James Wood and Rich Ross! Dr. Wood shared techniques for finding octos while diving. Thales had two offerings, one article on the flamboyant cuttlefish, along with his killer photos. The other was a fun to read account of raising O. chierchiae with more of his own great pics, along with some of Dr. Roy Caldwell's incredible photos. Thales dropped lots of shameless plugs for TONMO.com! BTW, Rich, you mentioned "small success" in raising small egged occys. Any more info on that?

Congratulations Dr. Wood and Rich!:read: Your articles were entertaining and informative- very well done. What a great treat to find on the LFS counter!

Sedna,
How did you get the magazine? I have tried to get an on-line subscription, emailed them about the problem and tried calling the number they gave me when the website failed to link with Paypal. I was going to get a year on-line and this specific issue in hard copy but can't seem to get through to them.

God, I love my LFS!! It was just sitting on the counter, waiting for me to pop in and buy it! That was last Thursday, I'll call and see if they've got any more! This is the store that is conveniently located between Elise's school and home, so if they have more, they're mine (yours).

Sedna, I'll let you be my best friend if you send it :sagrin:

I wish I HAD something I would call a LFS. There are two stores that carry a couple of poorly kept tanks with occassional SW fish but I would not give them the dignitiy of calling them a local fish store. I have a couple of not so local places that we get to on occassion but they don't carry much in the way of publications.

I dont know if this would help you D(since you have no lfs) but i went to petco today and they had a small section of salt water stuff. I am not sure if it is just maybe that store but they had some stuff that you just generally need every now and then. The had some clown fish tangs enenames(didnt know how to spell that but if u sound it out you will know what it is) and some other little fish.

We have a Petco that is not quite local but doable. They have a very small SW section and I have not checked out their publications. Our local chain is Petsmart (Pet stupid?). The chain has no saltwater animals (which is likely a good thing for this particular store) and very little in the way of marine supplies and a very poorly maintained magazine section.

Sedna is my BEST FRIEND:gigas:. Now to find time to read my new copy of ReefLife with all the Famous authors and great photos!!!!

It is now 6:00 AM and I finally got to sit and read three of the articles (the two by Thales and the one by Ceph and Roland Anderson). All three were fun and individually different and not to be missed. The style of Ceph's was particularly interesting because they discuss how to find several species of octos by their habits and habitats.

My sister is on Bonaire this week and her husband is attempting to log his 30th dive this year (a lifetime record for a single year). I am hoping they see an octo this time as I have been disappointed in George's ability to find them :wink:. I think if we ever are able to take another real vacation, Bonaire is going to be the destination as numerous reports (including comments from Roland Anderson in the article) suggest snokeling from shore will provide as many critters as diving in many other places.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back