• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

red slime algae

Bepe

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I have a huge outbreak of red slime algae in my 50 gal tank with a baby (one month old) bimac. The tank is plumbed into a 90 gal reef and 30 gal sump. The reef tank does not have any red algae, which I think means that the cause for the problem in the octo tank is the lack of herbivores.

What herbivores can I put in with this small bimac? I've heard turbo snails and yellow tangs eat this algae. Will the tang bother the bimac? And will a bimac attack a snail that is bigger than it (for the moment anyway)

Any thoughts welcome.

I would manually remove as much as you can. You might fill a large bowl with saltwalter and remove rocks with the red algae and use a toothbrush to scrub it off, then rinse the rock and replace. (I've tried this method and it works.)

Are you using a protein skimmer and also carbon?

You may have too much dissoved organic matter in your water.

Try turban snails - they are supposed to eat it. If you get large ones your little bimac probably won't attack them for a while. Avoid any fish because they could bother a small octopus.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back