red slime algae

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by Bepe, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Bepe

Bepe Pygmy Octopus Registered

I have a huge outbreak of red slime algae in my 50 gal tank with a baby (one month old) bimac. The tank is plumbed into a 90 gal reef and 30 gal sump. The reef tank does not have any red algae, which I think means that the cause for the problem in the octo tank is the lack of herbivores.

What herbivores can I put in with this small bimac? I've heard turbo snails and yellow tangs eat this algae. Will the tang bother the bimac? And will a bimac attack a snail that is bigger than it (for the moment anyway)

Any thoughts welcome.

2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

I would manually remove as much as you can. You might fill a large bowl with saltwalter and remove rocks with the red algae and use a toothbrush to scrub it off, then rinse the rock and replace. (I've tried this method and it works.)

Are you using a protein skimmer and also carbon?

You may have too much dissoved organic matter in your water.

Try turban snails - they are supposed to eat it. If you get large ones your little bimac probably won't attack them for a while. Avoid any fish because they could bother a small octopus.

Nancy

3. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

Nice info you've got there. I'll try that now since I have a out break of green algae thingy too. :hmm: