• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Red Slime Algae

Mr. Krabs

Blue Ring
Registered
I have a mat of red slime algae. How can I get rid of it? Are there any meds that won't affect my octopus? Please give me all of the input that you can! Thank you so very much!! :notworth:

Re: Red Slime Algae

Mr. Krabs said:
I have a mat of red slime algae. How can I get rid of it? Are there any meds that won't affect my octopus? Please give me all of the input that you can! Thank you so very much!! :notworth:

I have this also. I was told this is caused by not enough surface tension breakage, causing a deplesion of oxygen in the water. I was told there is something you can use to combat this crap. Nothing will eat it.

I've had success with Chemi-Clean.

It's basicly an oxidizer that makes your skimmer "go nuts"

Mostly it's a sign of a new tank,
as your tank matures, you'll see it less and less

(same goes with hair algea)

Until it is stabilized, use physical means to remove it...it can harm the bacterial bed !
greg

So should I remove the Live rock it's on and brush it off? Hmm....?????? I was hoping to not have to do that. It grows like nothing I have ever seen before.

Usually it can be removed by pulling it out as a whole mat, if necessary, make a bath of salt water, perhaps a five gallon bucket or so, and gently abrade the surface to remove as much as possible...there are several brands of red algae killer on the market, but have no info on whether or not they are harmful to cephs....
greg

You also need to work on why the algae is there in the first place... If there wasnt a good supply of feeding for it, it would gradually dissapear.

Have your water tested for nitrates, silicates and phosphates.

What ever you do, do not stir it up
It is a constant battle until you take care of the problem.

I remember whe I first started out, a long time ago,
You had 4 stages of a marine tank, and everyone went thru it
0. Set-up the new tank
1. Diatom algea (eating all the stuff in you new water)
2. Hair algea (eating the decaying diatoms)
3. Cyano (eating the decaying hair algea)
4. Mature aquarium

These steps have become almost unoticable with RO water,
but they are still there.

Out here, with our funky water, it seems to be silicates that cause the red algae bloom...good call, Colin.
Yep, KIA is correct too...you don't want to get it all over the tank, if you do need to brush the live rock, do it in a seperate bucket, and then get rid of the offending water!
g

I did a water change the other night and used the old water to try brushing off my LR. You have to pet and brush your pet rock from time to time. The rock looks awsome now. Red slim algea seems to be under control for the time being. I have a small power head on order to stir things up a bit more also.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back