Recent papers

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Two research papers have been announced on TONMO.com in the last couple of weeks, but we have yet to put them here in this annoucement panel on the home page:

"Mating behavior of Abdopus aculeatus (d’Orbigny 1834) (Cephalopoda: Octopodidae) in the wild"

Christine L. Huffard, Roy L. Caldwell, and Farnis Boneka

(Christine Huffard is mucktopus and Roy Caldwell is Neogonodactylus here on the site.)

Abdopus aculeatus mating paper out

"An experimental study of the effect of diet on the fatty acid profiles of the European Cuttlefish (Sepia officinalis)"

Miriam Fluckiger · George D. Jackson · Peter Nichols ·
Patti Virtue · Adam Daw · Simon Wotherspoon

(Adam Daw is marinebio_guy on Tonmo.)

Research paper. Hot of the press

and (added 5/18)

Occurance of squid in the diet of orange roughy -- Matt Jones (TONMO.com username: Infusoria)

Hello

Maybe we can use this thread as a general pot for interesting papers.
I just found this one:Miserez A, Li Y, Waite JH, Zok F.(2007): "Jumbo squid beaks: inspiration for design of robust organic composites." Acta Biomater; 3(1):139-49.

Jumbo squid beaks: inspiration for design of robust organic composites - PubMed
(I am just at my University, I dont know if it´s free to download; nevertheless the abstract is interesting, too!)

This paper deals with the beaks of giant squids. The researchers go for the question, how a soft invertebrate can handle their hard and sharp beak: They found, that the beak is very hard at the peak and getting softer at the connection to the muscles.

Greetings

Reuters picked up Mucktopus' and Neogonodactylus' latest:

Love in the octopus' garden

congrats! :notworth:

Is it just my imagination, or has news reporting about esoteric cephalopod research really been taking off in the popular press? I'm not sure if it was always there, and having octobot bring me the news stories every day has made me notice, or if it's really become more something reporters see as interesting to the general public... either way, I'm not complaining...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back