Real or Photoshopped? (retitled)

Andy Lister said:
Apparently that is real. I'd never seen it before until today but htere is a discussion about it somewhere else in the forums!

Er, at least the time I brought it up, I put it in "culture and entertainment" not "physiology and biology" because I am deeply skeptical. Not that I really know any more than anyone else, though.

That brings up an interesting question.... why havent squids/octos made the transition to fresh water? (Well, I suppose most marine things dont make it to fresh water either.)
If snails can do it, it cant just be a mollusc thing.

This has been discussed in a couple of threads - this one talks about the biochemistry of fresh-/saltwater animals a little, here's another about the closest modern cephs have got to fresh water (as far as we know :goofysca: ), and, um, here's one of the other supposed freshwater-octo-report-threads.

That's not photoshopped, it's perfectly normal O. Vulgaris behavior.

{EDIT: I'm yapping about the movie of the vulgaris, not the tree octopus.}

On a research expedition in Costa Rica in 2000, we were collecting any cephalopods we could find to build data on basic ecology so the fisheries (octopuseries?) could be managed. I found a large (head was about grapefruit sized) O. mimus that eluded capture for 6 or 7 breatholds (we were in 10' of water, on snorkel) Again and again that darn octopus would blast me with ink, The octo would turn black, fade to brown while jetting a mere 3-5' away and BAM! As soon as it landed on the bottom it's camoflauge was so convincing the octopus would simply disappear on the reef, even though she was right there in plain sight, watching me looking searching around frustratedly. -The trick is to look for the eyes.

Cheers, Cephjedi

Awesome clip! Imagine being able to turn your very body into an exact copy of the background. :bugout: It looked like some sort of sea weed or algae it was mimicking, but i wonder if it could do the same with "foreign" objects. An Oc must be quite used to sea weed, it knows what it looks like, feels like and how it moves in the current. But say you put the li'l guy next to a plastic bag or a piece of cloth? Could they turn themselves into anything, or do they have a set of "basic disguises" like rock, sea weed and sand?
Maybe, if you put an Oc in a pool with checkerboard-patterned walls and scared it, it would become full of squares?
Cheers!
Erik

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back