• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

ready for octopus?

Please dont get me wrong, i want to have the best possible chance for survival for my octo. I know that if i got one and it died right away i would be tottally bummed. But im also super impatient so i wanna have all my bases covered so i can get an octo as soon as i can. Thanks for all the help!

It sounds like you found good rock (often not the case) and a nice start on the tank. I am not sure why algae would be falling off on its own (usually you would have to scrub it or get something to eat it) so that is a mystery. Since you just started up your skimmer (appropriate for just now and not earlier), hopefully you will start seeing a coating of greenish grey mud accumulating in the cone. IME, with a new tank, you should see quite a bit of it the first month or two and then a falling off but never an end. If the mud smells foul, you know you still have a ways to go as that will be dead stuff coming from the LR.

I don't know if this happens in all tanks but I always seem to get a diatom bloom right at the end of my cycle. It's happened in all my tanks and at first it bothered me but now I welome the sight because I know it's a good sign.
Sue

SueAndHerZoo;173763 said:
I don't know if this happens in all tanks but I always seem to get a diatom bloom right at the end of my cycle. It's happened in all my tanks and at first it bothered me but now I welome the sight because I know it's a good sign.
Sue

+1 here. I get the same thing, if it takes the tank 6 weeks to cycle or if it takes 2 doesnt matter that brown icky nasty looking stuff coats almost everything and I know I am good to go.

A rapid proliferation of either green or brown algae that coats everything in your tank and takes lots of cleaning and water changes to remove (but wipes off easily, unlike hair algae). With new tanks, the bloom (such a nice word for such an unsightly, annoying action) is usually with brown algae that is sort of a rust color.

heres a short video of my tank (sorry for the crappy camera) anyway this is my very first try at a tank EVER so please dont make too much fon or be too critical.

now about the video:

the mesh around my overflow box is rigid and is like a plastic type, it goes all the way to the top of my tank.

is my heater safe for the octo? it wont fit in my sump

is my powerhead safe for my octo? do i even need one?

i just cleaned my skimmer so no gunky moneyshot (sorry guys)

im planning the small refugium section to grow cheatomorpha

what do you guys think?

Other than the heater, you look to be in good shape and I applaude your guide on the live rock for both quantity and size. The heater in the tank is a big no. Try removing it and watch your temperature. Chances are with your closed tank and light fixture in the sump, you will not need it. If you do, you will need to buy one small enough for the sump. Octopuses are not naturally exposed and don't react to high heat (evidenced by an experiment Jacques Cousteau did with O. vulgaris and underwater torches) and will handle something too hot without learning that it is burning their flesh (If you have not read Octopus and Squid The Soft Intelligence I highly recommend it. It is very inexpensive in used form and easily available).

If I am not mistaken, you powerhead is a Koralia (or an unbranded copy). These are used by most octopus keepers without known problems. There is some minor debate on the necessity but IMO they are important, even with a healthy return flow.

Nice job!

Yeah its a koralia nano. Bummer about my heater i literally just bought it. I think my tank runs at 71 degrees without a heater. Should i just buy a smaller one that fits in my sump? Other than that i just gotta mature my biofilter then im good to go right?

Unplug your heater for a full day and check your temp again now that everything is running (you can also experiment with leaving your sump light on either all night or for 24/7). It would be unusual (but not unheard of) for a tank to run that cool with a skimmer pump an internal pump and a light over the sump. Depending on the species (but you are most likely going to house a warm water animal), about 75 degrees is ideal with 72 as the low and 78 the high. Two degrees out side the noted swing does not seem to be harmful to the Caribbean's I have kept but these should be slow swings and not constant temps. (We went the summer without air conditioning and my tanks exceeded the desired high for two month without octo loss - possible longevity impact - but my sturdy corals bleached badly, most recovered. I used frozen water bottles in the sumps every few hours to keep the tanks at 80).

For a couple of reasons, heaters are better in the sump than in the main tank even without the concerns of an octopus. Among other things, keeping it in the sump will provide a more even, consistent temperature. If it is fully submersible, you might try it diagonally but READ THE MANUAL first to see if this is viable. I have upgraded to fully submersable metal units with wired remotes and highly recommend this type of a set up over any other arrangement.

My heater says it can be fully submursed horizonal or vertical. I got it to fit in my sump diagonally. Sweet! So with that im good to go right? All i have to do is wait...

... and feed the tank, learn to make regular water changes, learn to test your water, learn to watch as things change so that you begin to have a second sense about how the tank is maturing. Reading about the nitrogen cycle will help you enjoy this period instead of just "waiting". I would suggest that you read through some of the journals, both the short and long ones for both good and sad experiences. Since this is your first saltwater aquarium, there is a lot to learn and understand. It will increase your enjoyment of the tank itself and better prepare you for keeping a delicate creature.

Wonderful setup you got going there Octo! I also love the rock setup! I have a 29g filled to the rim with Rock cycling it with my LR while my 66 cycles. So many pieces to choose from! It's fun to play with and design a setup in your tank. But for now mines still bare except for the substrate. The 2 pieces I want to use have some sort of Coral on that no one can tell me what it is. So I'm getting iffy as to using it in my tank.

Cute Coral Banded shrimp to. I loved mine till I had to give him up. My 6 line wrasse is not friendly with crustaceans.

Where did you find the screen for over your overflow? I can't find anything that suits me that has a nice enough flow. Yours looks nice.

Can't wait to see your tank progress and your big day!

i bought my screen at home depot for $1.67. i bought one of those exterior housing vents you know like the metal ones. and the screen was attached to the back. it worked great because it is very rigid and the holes are larger than door screen so it doesnt get clogged easily (1/4 inch hole i think). i just took it off the vent thing and bent it to the same shape of my overflow box. i slid the top part under it where the white bolt holds on my overflow and the bottom of it is just zip tied to the overflow box.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back