• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Ready for an octopus?

ieatfalalfel

Wonderpus
Registered
Hello, I have had my tank cycling since august and have a lawnmower bleeny as well as a couple stars. The Blenny is big and I would probably trade him back in when my octo gets bigger. All my water levels are good. Its a 60 gallon tank and I was thinking of an O. Briareus from Tom's Carribean. I have an Aquaclear powerfilter for 110 gallon tanks and an AquaCRemora protein skimmer. There is a lot of live rock with crystalline algae. I will be finishing my octoproofing today. I have a good supply of shrimp, crabs, fish, and other food items at my LFS that I would feed. Does anybody see a problem with this? Am I ready for an octopus?

I dont see any problem here. It sounds like you are ready. Have you been reading? Do you know how to acclimate them? Are you prepared to feed only live foods if you cant get the octopus to eat froze? Are you sure that none of the live foods have been treated with copper? Are you prepared to upgrade your tank if you get O. vulgaris (require 125 gallons min) These are only questions you know. Your set up is sound but I would recommend upgrading your skimmer when you can. O. briareus are on the larger side and the first time your octopus inks you will be greatful for the upgrade. Also many of us keep an airstone in our sump to help with gas exchange.

Congrats on the set up! You have waited a good while to get the tank ready which in and of itself is a difficult task for most. Good luck!

What skimmer would you recommend to go with my Remora? Is there no way to specify with Tom what you want? Does he know how to ID the species?

He does a bit... Ask for a long armed octopus, but even that is no guarantee. He does the best he can but like we all know octopuses looks can change at will.

As far as the skimmer goes, I would recommend it be rated at least 3 times the size of your aquarium. If you buy one in addition to the remora maybe a urchin or something else that can go in your sump. But if you want to completely replace it something like the octopus brand would work. I have heard good things about this brand on my local fish forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back