• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

reaching out of the water

I recently trapped what i think is a bimaculoides. I trapped last weekend. But recently he has been trying to get out of the water. Does this mean he doesn't like the water or something? Also how do you ID a bimaculoides from a bimaculatus?

Thanks

Often this means something is wrong with your water; doing a water change and testing your parameters are good first steps.

Take it back immediately, and let it go.

Remember, most wild caught animals require specific permits !

Get your tank set up correctly, and if possible, buy captive bred animals from other Tonmo members...not only does this keep the breeders going, it saves you a lot of bother, and leaves the wild populations alone.

Greg

I have read all the fgd regulations. it says the only places you can not take a bimac is marine preserves and state beaches. you do not need any permits to take except a fishing license. there have been many threads on this. look at them!

I'm sorry I'm "out of subject" but please don't throw me out!
I just registered on this site to be able to write something because I need your help but I don't really know how the forums work.

Well I'm French (as you might see my writing, I hope I will be understandable) and like most of you all, a big fanatic of cephalopods.
It's been a few weeks since I have read on the Internet that pet octopus existed and this website seems to be the most complete about this subject. The problem is, as I told you, that I'm FRENCH and in my country, I don't think that it is possible to have such an animal at home or even legal.
Well, I don't really know: I have read on french forums some testimonies of owners but they posted it a long time ago and their email addresses aren't valid anymore.
Please please please could you tell me if you have any information about shops or sales in Europe (France, Italy, Spain, or even Germany, Belgium and England)
It might sound very childish or stupid but I never really thought of keeping a pet octopus before as it seemed to be irrealistic: it was like a dream.
Now that it seems possible, I beg you to answer me please: you know so much about it I think you can give me answers..
Do you think you could reply on my email address?

:-/

"Merci d'avance", MariOn.

PoulpeStar;132031 said:
I'm sorry I'm "out of subject" but please don't throw me out!
I just registered on this site to be able to write something because I need your help but I don't really know how the forums work.

Well I'm French (as you might see my writing, I hope I will be understandable) and like most of you all, a big fanatic of cephalopods.
It's been a few weeks since I have read on the Internet that pet octopus existed and this website seems to be the most complete about this subject. The problem is, as I told you, that I'm FRENCH and in my country, I don't think that it is possible to have such an animal at home or even legal.
Well, I don't really know: I have read on french forums some testimonies of owners but they posted it a long time ago and their email addresses aren't valid anymore.
Please please please could you tell me if you have any information about shops or sales in Europe (France, Italy, Spain, or even Germany, Belgium and England)
It might sound very childish or stupid but I never really thought of keeping a pet octopus before as it seemed to be irrealistic: it was like a dream.
Now that it seems possible, I beg you to answer me please: you know so much about it I think you can give me answers..
Do you think you could reply on my email address?

:-/

"Merci d'avance", MariOn.

:welcome: (or bienvenue) to TONMO.

It's probably better to ask such things in "introduce yourself," rather than an existing thread, but I suppose it's fine. I'm not sure if we've had members from France who have kept local octos, but I'm not aware of any restrictions. Perhaps some of our European members will know more. There are certainly French researchers who have kept Octopus vulgaris for scientific purposes.

If you want responses by email, providing your email address would also be helpful :wink:

Do I have to move to "introduce yourself"? Or is it ok and I go on?
My email address is [email protected]
(I thought it would appear when I posted something)
And Ob, have you ever been there??
It's true that it's a bit shameful how they keep their last octopus (they were two originally but one died -at least, disappeared..) and other species..but that's the only place where I can contemplate one (^.^)
you cant figure out how I envy you all

Euh..who is European there? Is it possible to check origins in a member list?

Bon soir Marion,

Je suis des Pays Bas et parle Français a la mode qui suffit (j'espère) pour la conversation de chaque jour, mais je crois que c'est mieux de utiliser Anglais pour ce forum. I was in Monaco recently, the weekend before christmas, to be precise. I posted a few pictures elsewhere in the forum. We have a small number of Euros here, markedly a Belgian writer, four or five Britons and I am not sure on other nationalities. And then there's me, from the Netherlands:smile:

Mon Dieu! :biggrin2:
Everytime I go there I dont manage to get a correct picture of "my" octopus, even when I wait for centuries and YOU go one time and take a complete pic grrr.
I think you missed the big orange octopus on the last floor's wall (did you?)
Anyway, I have a photo of the second octopus which disappeared, he was rather white, do you care about it or not? :smile:
-Do albinos species exist??-

Je dois quand même te dire que tu parles très bien français! Je ne ferai pas mieux dans ta langue! (I dont speak a word of yours..)

Well who is the belgian? Does he have a cephalopod?

Even this little bit is stretching my high school French but it is fun to try to translate:shock:. I started to mention that OB likely spoke French but knew he would join in at some point (being our internationional coordinator :sagrin:).

PoulpeStar, your English is quite clear! Hopefully, our's is translatable as there is a lot here that you will enjoy reading. Definitely post pictures of your aquarium visits. A good place to post pictures of an aquarium visit would be in the forums under Diving & Ceph Encounters.

Really?
I remember I read something about changing colors depending on the feeling, like humans, but thought it was exaggerate.
I definitely have to get better informed and keep on visiting this website.

It amazes me! It's been five years since I have been crazy about octopuses but now, I notice I know only 1% about them!
There's quite nothing in French its a shame.

Concerning the picture, I will post it this week end as Im not at home during the week..
I also have a "private collection" ^^ and some drawings of mine with some items I can share if someone's interested (free of course)
Do I have to post them in ceph jewelry?

PoulpeStar;132059 said:
Concerning the picture, I will post it this week end as Im not at home during the week..
I also have a "private collection" ^^ and some drawings of mine with some items I can share if someone's interested (free of course)
Do I have to post them in ceph jewelry?

You can create your own picture album to share with other members. On the BLUE menu bar at the top of the page is a link called, "My Settings". Click it and you will see a link, "Pictures & Albums" on the LEFT side under the heading Networking .

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back