Re-introducing

forever27

GPO
Registered
Hey guys! I haven't been on tonmo for years, but I've just set up another octopus tank. I have previously documented Lennon's life (O. luteus). I just set up a 56 gallon "column" tank for a future resident. It's been cycling with 3 mollies and a foxface for about a month now. Looking forward to the new octo, and will probably document his life as well! Good to be back!

WELCOME BACK!!!! I have referred to Lennon when new member come up with our little macropus (sp). Still don't know the species. According to Norman, it cannot be luteus (much larger animal with deep webbing) but Beldar, Lennon and Puddles look alikes are what you will usually see when divers post the name.

I give up, what is a "column" tank?

Ah okay, yeah I haven't really looked into it much lately. It's a taller, deeper tank. I think it's 18" deep, 30" long, and 24" tall. I wish it was wider, but I got it really cheap and it's brand new. So we'll see what kind of octo I end up getting. If it's something that needs more room, I've got a 75 in the garage that isn't set up. It's just not as nice looking and I wanted to make this one a nice "furniture" piece in my living room.

D, what are you thoughts on trying to keep the foxface in there with the octo? I know everything tells me no, but why exactly? Foxfaces seem peaceful enough to not pick at the octo, but the bigger size/venomous spines should keep it from turning into food. I've been debating it. I've still got my 125 I can add the foxface to. That was the original plan (use it to cycle this tank then add it to the 125).

I keep looking at the cubes and if our old, old, old nano ever gives up the ghost (not likely unless the stand collapses), I will be tempted.

LOL, I think I will change my signature to "NO FISH" so I won't get anyone mad when they ask, "but what about ... ". I am strongly a "NO FISH" of any kind believer. Here is the latest reinforcement (expecting further documentation but long story short the octo died) and here is my favorite, nicely documented longer story (octo lived $1000+ of fish died).

To be fair, I think I saw something specifically about a Fox Face and an octo somewhere recently but can't remember or find it. It may have been advice rather than actually housing the two. Always keep in mind that the skin on an octopus is fairly delicate and sensitive to anything in the water column. Our tanks house all kinds of bacteria, some good and some not so much. Infection (particularly around the eyes) is hard to treat so avoiding anything that can cause a wound or irritation is the safest approach.

I know, I knew I'd be separating the two, but the thought was there haha. Thanks for the advice/talking sense in to me. I'll post pictures of the tank setup tomorrow and start a journal. I won't get the octo for another week or 2 though. Hope you're doing well!

I don't know yet, I moved to the Atlanta area (Woodstock) from Savannah, GA. I'm either going to ask Rhett at Atlanta Aquarium in Duluth to order me one or maybe order from Tom's Caribbean.

I'm playing with trying to chill one of my tanks and try a Ruby that I may be able to get from Stu (Coldwater Aquatics) but have not moved the chiller to the tank to see if I can get the temp drop I would need. I so hate cleaning coldwater tanks but have always wanted to try O. rubescens so I am torn in both directions. Fortunately, the one he shows in stock is no longer available so I have more time to decide. Of course, I have other tanks if something else "shows up" :roll:. This is the longest I have been without an octopus since I started keeping them and I am a bit crazy in my thinking ATM.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back