[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Ray's 125G Cuttle Rearing System

magnetar68

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
Seeing Aggression

18.5 Weeks and I am seeing some aggression between some of the cuttles. As a result, I had to remove a cuttle tonight and put it back into the 20G long rearing tank.

Yesterday, I noticed that one of the cuttles had a white mark on the end of its mantle and it was covered in circles made by thin white outlines on its skin (see pic below -- it's the best I could do for now). I will call him "Chafe" and assume he is a male although I don't know that. Chafe was also reluctant to feed yesterday. Today, Chafe ate OK, but I woke up in the middle of the night in order to observe what was going on when the cuttles were active at night.

Tonight, Chafe was solo floating around in the tank near the top of the water column. As he made his was down towards another cuttle burried in the sand (the burried cuttle was displaying mainly white colors to blend into the substrate so I will call her - another assumption - "Milky"). As Chafe got close to Milky, a large cuttle (aka "Brutus") came quickly from a nearby rock, displaying very dark (looked black under the red lights) colors and flashed spots and stripes. He then proceeded to attack Chafe and would not let go. Brutus dragged Chafed around the tank and while Chafed broke away a couple of times, Brutus came back at him.

Fortunately, it was not difficult to remove Chafe. He was too nervous to go down, so I was able to scoop him into a plastic container and move him to the 20G Long in the fish room (this tank is plumped into the same system as the display tank). My hope is that he will heal and be OK in this smaller tank until I can find him a home, but I don't know what type of healing cuttles do.

Reaction score
:sad: So sorry about Chafe... Brutus is definitely a male. and those marks have been seen before by other cuttle keepers. My two males fought (I had two males and one female), sometimes twirling underwater, but I never saw that many marks on either of my males. Is Chafe still floating in the 20 gallon? The really white mark near the rear of Chafe is worrisome, I have seen cuttles get bacteria in their cuttlebones after this type of abrasion.

magnetar68

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
Chafe is now acting like a normal cuttle and eating in the 20G all by himself. Richard Ross chimed in on my post in my local area reefer forum and confirmed that is an unusually high number of marks. I noticed that two other cuttles have a few bit marks, but not nearly as many as Chafe. I either have 2 males & 5 females or 3 males & 4 females in the display tank. I will just need to keep am eye on things, but I expected to have losses if I had too many males.

magnetar68

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
i am down to 4 cuttles in the dt. one went to a foster home,one died (i assume from fighting), and 2 are in support tanks but doing fine. in the dt, i have one male and three females. today, there was a batch of eggs. first clutch. about 10 eggs.

magnetar68

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
I have tons of eggs, but they are small, so I don't think they are viable. I was having issues with nitrates getting pretty high, but I was feed rather large shrimp to each cuttle 2x per day. I have gone to more medium sized shrimp 1x per day and the nitrates are coming down. I also added more biopellets but that has also created an bacteria bloom, so the water is a little cloudy. We also dropped out nice camera and broke the lens, so I don't have any updated pics.

The funny thing is that I had separated two males cuttles from the main display tank that were fighting with the larger male, Brutus. They seemed OK together in the smaller tank together, so I did not put in a separator. Well, now I have eggs in the smaller tank. So my two makes are obviously a male-female pair.

I know have 4 cuttles in the main display: 1 male and 3 females; and a male/female pair in the smaller tank. I gave one the the males away and one male died in the main display tank a while back from what I presume was fighting with Brutus.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fokfok

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan