[Cuttlefish]: Ramses

So, in my absence Ramses has been accepting peeled frozen prawns, which makes life easier. He took one from me this morning for the first time. After a swim over the corals later in the morning (with a beautiful turtle for company) I brought him back a live crab meal, his first for a week.

Ramses nearly got Brutus the boxer again just now, but he had to make do with Brutus' right cheliped. This is now the third time that Brutus has to regrow that appendage, so no big problem!

My own informal searching about the ranges of various cuttlefish species leads me to believe that Ramses is one of these species:

Sepia stellifera
Sepia elongata
Sepia mirabilis
Sepia sokotriensis
Sepia acuminata
Sepia dollfusi
Sepia gibba
Sepia pharaonis

What is Ramses' approximate mantle length?

Cephdoc;169151 said:
Is Ramses a species that is rare in aquarium trade? I cant find much about the species.

Ramses was caught in the wild in the Sultanate of Oman. He is thought to be an Sepia pharaonis. In the aquarium trade i would think here in the US we would never really get one, unless a breeding program for them is established.

Best wishes for your future cuttlefish keeping sk! Ramses has been a delight: colourful, active and interactive and a minor local celebrity (kids and adults visit to watch him).

His one small issue in the tank was one of authority with the sergeant major (a fast and aggressive little fish), which shows him no respect. Perhaps Ramses will catch it one day. He had the sergeant in his arms once, but it wrestled itself away.

Thales has a group of pharaohs at home and would know more about how possible it might be to keep them in the US.

Thank you, I am excited. I will be getting the eggs today so right now I am getting my tank ready. I was going to take down my 55 gallon tank but I decided that until I know for sure whats going to happen with the eggs I should leave it up. Just in case I end up with 6 babies I may need the space.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back