[Cuttlefish]: Ramses

I feel very bad for one personality in the aquarium, "Brutus" the boxer shrimp who was lord of his world last week. He is now a nervous wreck hiding behind rocks and extremely jumpy if I so much as look at him. This morning before heading off for work I witnessed an explosive attack by Ramses and a very narrow escape for Brutus as he danced back down a narrow gap between rock and glass.

I'm offering peeled shrimp to Ramses and he investigates, but doesn't take at the moment. He'd rather have the boxer shrimp. Crabs and blennies are all in hiding.

Terri, the crinoid is certainly unfurled at night and spends some hours furled up during the day. I'm not sure what species it is. Here attached is a 10cm Cretaceous comatulid, Antedon, from Lebanon for comparison.

Attachments

• conv_297269.jpg
    conv_297269.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 128
  • conv_297270.jpg
    conv_297270.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 178
LOL, I think you are looking for live specimens to match your collection. Interesting idea anyway :biggrin2:.

Harvey, our banded survived the addition of Winchester, our Trigger and continued to rule the tank. Unfortunately, after over a year, one arm disappeared. He grew it back with the next shed but then disappeared.

Yes D, your right!:smile: The fact that Hajar has a fossil that so closely matches his furled, live crinoid is astounding (to me anyway). To see them side by side...great learning aid, although Hajar's fossil above is much, much younger than the crinoids I am finding.

So, a moment ago I placed a crab next to Ramses and he turned slowly before explosively shooting out the feeding tentacles. There was a round of applause from the observers. Very impressive indeed!

Brutus has twice lost his right cheliped in wrestling matches with the anemones, but has grown it back in between moults. I hadn't realized that they could do that.

You are right, there are many good comparisons to make between the live animals and their ancient predecessors. Here are a few:
- corals and turtles here
- sea urchins here
- cuttlefish here
- shrimp here
- fish here

Ohh, I forgot that I used to have a brachiopod (Lingula, I think). That was many decades ago... It shell was bluish-green. It didn't last long in a closed system, before protein skimmers...

Photo from Wikipedia

Attachments

• conv_297272.jpg
    conv_297272.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 125

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back