[Cuttlefish]: Ramses

Just back from three days camping and I hear that Ramses has accepted frozen shrimps in our absence. We'll catch him some crabs again tomorrow though.

There was abundant evidence for the presence of cuttlefish strewn along the beach these past few days.

Attachments

• conv_297335.jpg
    conv_297335.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 125
  • conv_297336.jpg
    conv_297336.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 108
I wonder if they just went through a mating gathering, if you get into the water soon, you might want to look for egg clutches where you saw the last two adults.

Zeekat, someone else had collected the cuttle and I found it in a local aquarium shop. They are always a delight to come across in the wild though, especially amongst the corals.

Good plan D, to look for egg clutches! I'll keep my eyes open.

What's the best source of information on interpreting the meaning of the various colour and surface texture changes in cuttlefish? There was a lot of communication going on this morning, which I interpreted as "So where are the crabs?"

I'm just back from the beach with a selection, one of which is already caught and consumed.

Here he is this morning, up at the top of the tank, in the company of the crinoid.

Attachments

• conv_297337.jpg
    conv_297337.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 115
Thanks cuttlegirl. Ramses is endlessly fascinating to observe and very photogenic, but not everybody in the household admires him, this being the first predator to live with us. He was even described as "un monstruo" after the massacre of Tom the anemonefish.

Here attached is an image showing the location of "Cuttlefish Beach" and a surfing area on nearby Masirah Island for Zeekat.

Attachments

• conv_297347.jpg
    conv_297347.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 90
I just found this which discusses the two black marks on the mantle visible in the "Ramses the Hunter" video above.

They describe "the deimatic pattern" as a response to threat and call the two black marks the "deimatic spots (DS)". They write that cuttlefish in captivity readily display the DS .. to an approaching large object. Messenger and Miyan managed to induce the DS display by electrical stimulation of a branch of the fan of nerves running to the fin and dorsal mantle skin. Interesting.

I wonder if the dark spots surrounded by light are supposed to suggest eyes for both eye protection and misdirection. There are potentially a similar pair of spots on the mantle of octopuses. I have been trying to find a description of their purpose but have not come up with any papers discussing it. When I look at diagrams, it appears they may be directly above the ink sacs but that is just guessing.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back