• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Raising juvenile octopus in a pseudokreisel

Does anyone have any knowledge or input on using either a circular or rectangular kreisel/psuedokreisel to rear juvenile octpus (both small and large egged) from egg?

I am currently building a flow-through pseudokreisel that will pull straight from the main tank to the sump. It will have a small pump for circulation with an intake and outtake siphon tube for continuous flow from the main system, as well as an airstone for oxygenation.

A (pseudo)kreisel has often been suggested for rearing planktonic paralarvae, as only they would require suspension. To my knowledge there have been no successful attempts so far in the amateur aquarium universe, but I have often wondered about the (recent) Spanish experiment with Octopus vulgaris in commercial hydroculture. My guess is that food will be the decisive factor in rearing small egged species to young adulthood, not so much our ability to keep the little ones suspended.

And what kind of food items would you suggest? I was thinking of decapsulated nuapalli(pardon my poor spelling) enriched with various algeas/plankton for the first week while I culture small copepods. Like I said before it will be connected to the main system, thus a lot of small animals that are currently scurrying around in there should make thier way into the pseudokreisel.

I wish I could offer my two cents here, but I am blissfully unaware of what the natural diet would consist of over the course of development/time for small egg species :oops:

I'll actually delve into the available literature and try and get back with a sensible answer!

So, crab larvae appear to be essential in lieu of Artemia sp., which fail as a primary food source for lack of copper content.

ob;164592 said:
So, crab larvae appear to be essential in lieu of Artemia sp., which fail as a primary food source for lack of copper content.

I find that so interesting. Its a shame/boon that Artemia are so easy and cheap to culture.

A tonsa should be easily gettable and Tigger Pods are easy to culture so you could get all different sizes.

Actually both. I realize that her eggs will be infertile so that is why I am trying to get a sexually mature male to breed her with. As a food source I'll be using enriched decapsulated nuapii, pods, and what ever little critters I can scrap out of the main tank. I will also add various supplements to the water in hopes that either the octopus, prey, or both will absorb it. As far as the Cu issue, I'm still not sure how to factor that in.

I know that some peoplee have had issues with adequate amounts of food available throughg the day. So to counter this I will try to build a continuous drip that will supply the pseudokreisel with food 24/7.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back