Raising juvenile octopus in a pseudokreisel

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by skywindsurfer, Oct 10, 2010.

1. skywindsurfer

skywindsurfer Architeuthis Registered

Does anyone have any knowledge or input on using either a circular or rectangular kreisel/psuedokreisel to rear juvenile octpus (both small and large egged) from egg?

2. skywindsurfer

I am currently building a flow-through pseudokreisel that will pull straight from the main tank to the sump. It will have a small pump for circulation with an intake and outtake siphon tube for continuous flow from the main system, as well as an airstone for oxygenation.

3. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

A (pseudo)kreisel has often been suggested for rearing planktonic paralarvae, as only they would require suspension. To my knowledge there have been no successful attempts so far in the amateur aquarium universe, but I have often wondered about the (recent) Spanish experiment with Octopus vulgaris in commercial hydroculture. My guess is that food will be the decisive factor in rearing small egged species to young adulthood, not so much our ability to keep the little ones suspended.

4. skywindsurfer

And what kind of food items would you suggest? I was thinking of decapsulated nuapalli(pardon my poor spelling) enriched with various algeas/plankton for the first week while I culture small copepods. Like I said before it will be connected to the main system, thus a lot of small animals that are currently scurrying around in there should make thier way into the pseudokreisel.

5. OB

I wish I could offer my two cents here, but I am blissfully unaware of what the natural diet would consist of over the course of development/time for small egg species :oops:

I'll actually delve into the available literature and try and get back with a sensible answer!

6. OB

7. skywindsurfer

Thanks.

8. OB

So, crab larvae appear to be essential in lieu of Artemia sp., which fail as a primary food source for lack of copper content.

9. skywindsurfer

Is there any way to enrich artemia with copper without damaging the prey or octopus?

10. skywindsurfer

Would tigerpods be too large for newly hatched O. Hummelincki?

11. skywindsurfer

I've managed to make a small circular pseudokreisel that can fit inside the sump. This will make water purity alot easier.

12. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I find that so interesting. Its a shame/boon that Artemia are so easy and cheap to culture.

A tonsa should be easily gettable and Tigger Pods are easy to culture so you could get all different sizes.

13. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Are you trying to prepare for Bubbles or just preparing for the future. Bubbles eggs will not be fertile.

14. skywindsurfer

Actually both. I realize that her eggs will be infertile so that is why I am trying to get a sexually mature male to breed her with. As a food source I'll be using enriched decapsulated nuapii, pods, and what ever little critters I can scrap out of the main tank. I will also add various supplements to the water in hopes that either the octopus, prey, or both will absorb it. As far as the Cu issue, I'm still not sure how to factor that in.

15. skywindsurfer

I know that some peoplee have had issues with adequate amounts of food available throughg the day. So to counter this I will try to build a continuous drip that will supply the pseudokreisel with food 24/7.

16. OB

Crab larvae can actually be bred as well, but you'll need to run algae/diatoms alongside as a food source for your food source, oh, and Artemia is also taken by the crab larvae themselves; you'd be running quite a set-up, but I think you're used to multiple species by now :wink:

PS: The copper doesn't look like it could be supplemented outside of a food source, enhanced ambient levels will kill your hummelincki paralarvae, i am quite sure.

17. skywindsurfer

How would I acquire and culture crab larvae?

The more the marrier I always say.

:( back to square one. Well you know what they say. Variety is the key. Maybe some Cu will get to them in one form or another. Where do the prey naturally get Cu from? Or is it just naturally in their tissue?

18. skywindsurfer

Right now I have three different LFS' searching for a large sexually mature male O. Hummelincki but they are all saying that it's unlikely they will be able to get exactly what I want. Does anyone know a reliable source that I could get one from? I tried emailing reefscavengers but their contact email doesn't work.

19. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

How are you going to set up the actual mating? I think Roy uses a tank that has a clear divider so the octopuses can see each other and indirectly meet then he removed the divider lets them mate, then I think he separate the octopuses from each other again. I read that somewhere, I'm not sure if was Roy doing it that was or someone else.

20. skywindsurfer

I am going to buy a specific pet carrier that allows for multiple chambers and use a singular divider with small wholes drilled into it to allow only their arms through. Its about 2' x 1' I think but I'm not certain on that. Afterwards I will release the male into the sump and remove the divider allowing the female full access to the entire pet carrier.