• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

rain water

Has anyone here used rain water for their saltwater tank? I Have set up rain barrels and I am catching around 200 gal of water to use on the garden but I was thinking of using it on my saltwater tanks as well. The water is sadly acidic and would need to have a buffer added to get it to the proper PH level. I am using it in my salt water pond experiment without filtering. What type of filter should I run it though before trying to use it on my main salt tanks or my cuttlefish tank ? :read: :madsci:

Note! Worry note I have been thought to much to take any chances with my cuttlefish!

I asked the LSF in Dayton, who uses well water for his fish, and he said to use baking soda in small amounts until I get the water to the proper PH level. Any thoughts? I know an RO filter will cause the PH to be low and that you will need to add trace elements to the water to get it back to the rain water quality. So why run it though that kind of filter system?

Because of pollutants and pesticides that can trick into the water. Your rain isn't "clean" if you live in a high populated area. Most of the rain has picked up some pollutant from traveling from where ever it came from. Unless you watched where the current waters storm started, there is no way that you would know that it didnt pick up some nasty stuff from somewhere. Here in Houston that would be a death sentence for any animal because we have many processing plants that pollute the air.

This is a strange thought, but could you like have the collection bucket and put a really big funnel on top and have some type of filtration powered by gravity in the tip of the funnel... It seams really strange but I don't know, maybe it could work.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back