• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Quick question about live rock...

tywtly

GPO
Registered
Ok, so I'm finally setting up a tank, gonna keep bimacs. Anyone who remembers me from so long ago knows that this is a big deal. So, as some of you may already know, I've been working on gettin moved for a while. Well, I'm finally moved, and ready to set up my tanks again. I've got a 55 gallon tank with everything I need except a protein skimmer and substrate, both of which I'll have pretty soon. So, on to the question. While moving, I had no way to keep the water from my old tank, so I was forced to drain it. I'm starting again, and I've got 50 lbs of live rock that hasn't been in any water for about 3 months. Is it still ok to use, or do I have to buy more?.....Oh my gosh I hope I don't have to buy more. That stuff's expensive!

The rock will not hurt your tank after it recures, however you will need to reseed your live rock, GARF grunge plus may be a good way to get the life you are after, that and live rubble.

Agreed as soon as you reseed the live rock you have the old rock will become active again. I have had the same thing happen to me and everything work out great, just make sure you cycle the tank.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back