Questions re: aquaculturestore.com

Discussion in 'Sources for Cephalopods and Food' started by gholland, Feb 18, 2008.

1. gholland

gholland Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

Does aquaculturestore.com ship with heat packs during the winter? Or is this even an issue for feeders? They don't have an option on the website... only for "cold" packs... and they haven't responded to any of my email queries over the last couple of weeks.

I need to get some pods and mysis for the pending hatchlings, but I'm a bit discouraged by the lack of communication from Sachs. Is there another alternative?

2. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I believe I got heat packs in my last shipment from them. It is indeed an issue. Have you called Sachs? I find it better to call than to email.

For mysis you can also order from http://www.reed-mariculture.com/mysidshrimp/

3. fishkid6692

fishkid6692 Vampyroteuthis Supporter

i just ordered fiddlers a couple of days ago from the aquaculturestore.com and they didn't send it with a heat pack. they should be fine. and my mom left them out there because she didn't know they were out there and they still seemed fine.

4. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

The Aquaculture Store is a family operation and the best way to get in touch is to phone. I've always found them ready to help.

Nancy

5. gholland

gholland Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

OK. Thanks everyone.

6. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Greg,
    It may be because I am a regular customer so Paul recognizes my email address (vs junk mail) but he always responds when I have questions so I suspect the problem lies in the email/junk mail problem and not with the supplier.

7. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Paul also answers my emails fairly quickly after I send them. If you order online mark the icepack box and on the paypal comments write that you would like a heatpack instead of cold.

8. lockburn

lockburn O. bimaculoides Registered

I have ordered many fiddlers from Paul for my octopuses. I live in NJ, which gets quite cold during the winter. I received a shipment of fiddlers one particularly cold day and they all looked dead. So I sent an email to Paul telling him what happened.

He advised me to put them in water and just wait a while. He mentioned that they are more susceptible to heat than cold, and that if placed in warm water, frozen fiddlers will often 'thaw' out and start moving again. Sure enough, they all 'woke' up and started crawling around (over the span of a day). Not sure if they moved as much as they would have if they weren't once frozen but my octopus ate them up regardless.