• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Questions on new octopus

it seems to be pretty varaible, Carols Ink lived for a few weeks (I think!) as did Nancys Ollie. Our Mrs Henry lived for a couple of months (but this is a BIG species and thus has lots of bulk to support a fast).

Cheers

Jean

Maybe 78 degrees for a briareus.

She might live another couple of months - enough time for the eggs to hatch and then perhaps a bit longer. Dbbga's Jetta followed that pattern.

She may keep eating - we've had octopuses with eggs that eat almost normally, some that eat from time to time, and some that don't eat at all during this period.

Nancy

I dont think that your octo would be more attached to the eggs the longer she took care of them, since it is mother nature I would imagine her natural behaivior to protect her eggs and not be seperated from them, would change the longer she had them. It's funny to hear she's doing so well, Maybe the eggs were not her's?

The eggs were her's, for the past 2 days she hasn't eaten though. She's been in her den, sometimes her tentacles will come to grab some more gravel and rock.
Do they lay eggs more than one time?

They can lay the eggs over a period of days.

Make sure she can reach the food you're offering. You may have to use a feeding stick.

Nancy

I took the Oct. Briareus back to our friend @ the store we bought her @ and it turns out that she laid more eggs in our tank :-( but he replaced her with a Bimac he had. Any pointers about Bimacs???

The majority of the babies from Octopets are Bimacs. They become very friendly and adjust well. How big is your new one? Gimpy was wild caught but again, has become very social and is eating me out of house and home. I am still though not sure of his species. Make sure you give your new one time to adjust.

Carol

He/She has about 4-5 inch tentacles. we're pretty sure this one came from the wild too, our friend gets most things wild. I've heard of octopets, are they ok to buy from? How often to Bimac's eat? Often as a Briareus?

If you click on the Ceph Care button above, you'll find a Bimac Care Sheet, which should help you a lot. Note that it needs a cooler tank temperature than briareus.

Octopets is quite OK to buy from.

Feed your bimac well, he will not overeat. Be sure to remove uneaten food if he doesn't want it.

Nancy

Questions on New octopus

Is it ok to feed a Bimac the feeder clams from Octopets.com and little neck clams from a grocery store? How can you tell the difference between a male and a female?

"Yes she's easting"

Octopus often "east" after laying their eggs...after all, it easter !!! :lol:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back