Questions on new octopus

Bibet

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
Today I bought a Briareus Octopus, when she was she was taken out of the tank from the place we bought her, there were eggs under the rock she was under, the store keeper still gave her to us, Is this going to be an issue? We acclinmated her correctly. If someone could tell me if she's going to be alright and if there will be an issue with her eating???

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
Oh dear........this is not good! Generally speaking female octopus die after egg laying. Some do feed for a bit afterwards........but she is at the end of her life.

Check out the threads on Ollie, Nancys Bimac, she survived some time after egg laying......but the prognosis isn't good. I hope the store didn't charge you too much!
J

Bibet

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
What is it that they die of after laying eggs? Is it that they don't eat?

Bibet

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
The store offered to give us a free one if this one doesn't make it.

Fair deal

Paradox

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
Reaction score
After laying eggs, they will be hesisant to take food and eventually die. This is normal and means the one you purchased is pretty old.

Sorry to give you the bad news, but you may need to take your local fish store up on thier offer soon....

Bibet

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
Even if it's eating..?? How big are they supposed to get when going into adulthood?she's pretty small, I would say her tentacle is only about 5-6 inches long.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
Briareus usually have longer legs than that. Search for Jetta, she's a briareus who laid eggs and there are some pics of her with the eggs hatching.

It could also be that your octo is not a briareus or that the eggs under the rock are not hers. However, I think he should have given you the rock, too!

Was she very upset at being removed?

Try to get her to eat - what are you feeding her?

Nancy

Bibet

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
Yes she's easting, she's only been in my tank for 6 hours and seems happy, she's moving around, checking things out and eating crabs and crustaceans. She was the only thing in the tank before she was in there they're were seahorses, no other octopuses. The piece of rock the eggs were under was a fake center piece and huge. She seemed to transport fine.
-B

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, this doesn't sound like the behavior of a mother octo who's been separated from her eggs.

If she's eating like that and exploring the tank, sounds like everything will be OK.

Nancy

Bibet

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
I hope so, she's climbing up the walls and floating around. Could it be that we got her close to when she laid her eggs and never had a chance to "get close" with her eggs? or is it when they lay eggs is it just a part of nature for them to die after laying eggs?