Questions on new octopus

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Bibet, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Bibet

Bibet Blue Ring Registered

Today I bought a Briareus Octopus, when she was she was taken out of the tank from the place we bought her, there were eggs under the rock she was under, the store keeper still gave her to us, Is this going to be an issue? We acclinmated her correctly. If someone could tell me if she's going to be alright and if there will be an issue with her eating???

2. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Oh dear........this is not good! Generally speaking female octopus die after egg laying. Some do feed for a bit afterwards........but she is at the end of her life.

Check out the threads on Ollie, Nancys Bimac, she survived some time after egg laying......but the prognosis isn't good. I hope the store didn't charge you too much!
    J

3. Bibet

What is it that they die of after laying eggs? Is it that they don't eat?

4. Bibet

The store offered to give us a free one if this one doesn't make it.

Fair deal

5. Paradox

Paradox Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

After laying eggs, they will be hesisant to take food and eventually die. This is normal and means the one you purchased is pretty old.

Sorry to give you the bad news, but you may need to take your local fish store up on thier offer soon....

6. Bibet

Even if it's eating..?? How big are they supposed to get when going into adulthood?she's pretty small, I would say her tentacle is only about 5-6 inches long.

7. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Briareus usually have longer legs than that. Search for Jetta, she's a briareus who laid eggs and there are some pics of her with the eggs hatching.

It could also be that your octo is not a briareus or that the eggs under the rock are not hers. However, I think he should have given you the rock, too!

Was she very upset at being removed?

Try to get her to eat - what are you feeding her?

Nancy

8. Bibet

Yes she's easting, she's only been in my tank for 6 hours and seems happy, she's moving around, checking things out and eating crabs and crustaceans. She was the only thing in the tank before she was in there they're were seahorses, no other octopuses. The piece of rock the eggs were under was a fake center piece and huge. She seemed to transport fine.
    -B

9. Nancy

Well, this doesn't sound like the behavior of a mother octo who's been separated from her eggs.

If she's eating like that and exploring the tank, sounds like everything will be OK.

Nancy

10. Bibet

I hope so, she's climbing up the walls and floating around. Could it be that we got her close to when she laid her eggs and never had a chance to "get close" with her eggs? or is it when they lay eggs is it just a part of nature for them to die after laying eggs?

11. Nancy

Maybe some of our marine biologists could give you a better answer. My observation has been a real intensity and devotion to egg laying even before it takes place - den building, retreat to the den.

They lay eggs at the end of their lives - although some live on for some time afterwards.

Can you post a pic of your octo sometime?

Nancy

12. Bibet

Thank your for your help.

Sure I'll post one soon.

13. Jean

Octopus are incredibly devoted mothers (at least pre hatching :lol: ) but even squid who are not tend to die after egg production (although there are variations on thhis theme!)....one of the big issues seems to be that when they are producing eggs in the ovary (called oogenisis) many species divert energy from food from rebuilding body tissues to egg creation, or if they cease eating then their body tissues are used to create the eggs. Once the eggs are laid they then use their body mass to keep them alive until the eggs hatch.

But as Nancy says your octi is not behaving as if they are hers. When we've removed octi's in tha past from eggs (to tank clean and we didn't realize there were eggs present til we moved a shell/rock :roll: ) the octi invariably starts to stress out, more than you would expect from and animal habituated to aquarium procedures.

cheers

J

14. Bibet

From where I got the Octi, I've been very good friends with the fish guy for years, I know for a fact that no other octi was in or ever lived in the tank she was in. They have to be hers. Today (day 2) she spent the whole day building a den and hasn't eaten today.

15. Jean

What a shame, but she may hold on for a couple more weeks if you can persuade her to eat!

J

16. Bibet

Generally speaking how long will an octopus live for if it doesn't eat?

17. Jean

it seems to be pretty varaible, Carols Ink lived for a few weeks (I think!) as did Nancys Ollie. Our Mrs Henry lived for a couple of months (but this is a BIG species and thus has lots of bulk to support a fast).

Cheers

Jean

18. Bibet

Thanks everyone for your help!!

19. Bibet

What temp. should that tank be at?

20. Nancy

Maybe 78 degrees for a briareus.

She might live another couple of months - enough time for the eggs to hatch and then perhaps a bit longer. Dbbga's Jetta followed that pattern.

She may keep eating - we've had octopuses with eggs that eat almost normally, some that eat from time to time, and some that don't eat at all during this period.

Nancy