• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Question reguarding feeding a new incoming octo

Hi All,

My tank is up and running (and testing) up to par YAY!! New lid was installed tonight and my new octo hopfully will be here Tuesday. I wanted to ask about start up foods.

I will be going to Galveston Monday for my water and will also be picking up food for my new octo. My plan was to pick up the smallest crabs I could find (I have already talked to a few sources) and then maybe pick up some Crawfish (not a lot maybe 2 or 3) just to see how they do. Does this sound like a good plan?

I will also be picking up some fresh shrimp which I will then freeze just in case this one was like the last one and will eat from the stick right away.

Does this sound like a good start or do I really need to get some Fiddlers?

Sabrina

That sounds good. Any live crabs should be acceptable, fiddlers are just the easiest for most of us to get and are sized for pretty much any octo. Be sure you have a small freshwater environment for the crayfish as you will not be able to put them in the tank until you are ready to feed them. Remember to watch to be sure it is eaten when you do (most likely this will not be a problem) and to remove the carcass either way.

We find that laying the shrimp out on a plate or cookie sheet (inside a bag is best, not open to the freezer) so that they freeze separated works way better than just bunching them into a bag and freezing.

~Flighty~;155555 said:
Might you run into trouble with the oil?

I have talked with a few of the fishing boats out there, and mostly they have changed where they fish. They are watching the currents and changing with that so they can stay (as best they can) away from the oil and other toxins in the water.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back