• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Question about NY aquatics

Since they are showing babies in stock at 1/4" I would think that they HAD eggs but now only have the resulting hatchlings unless you can find an additional post for in stock eggs.

NY Aquatics

I will (hopefully) be able to give you some feedback on NY Aquatics within the next couple of weeks. I had posted the question on my local reefing forum asking if any LFS's in my state has or could get either octopus or cuttlefish eggs. One replied that he could easily get me octopus, another said he knows of a source that he could try when I'm ready, and then a fellow reefer said that he is friends with the owner of NY Aquatics and knows he has eggs often. He also said that he is often in NY for his job and would pick them up and hand deliver them to me (so that I wouldn't have to ship them) so I am definitely going to take him up on that.

I haven't totally decided on cuttlefish (as opposed to an octopus) yet but I'm strongly leaning that way, and then I have to get my tank (and myself!) ready for the new additions. I'm not big on patience, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if I take the plunge in a week or two. :smile:

Sue

Sue&Zoo,
Because of the short lifespan, you will not be limited to one or the other and many cross the line (it is allowed :biggrin2:) several times.

Oh good, so confusion and indecision is allowed in this hobby? I better beef up my wallet to accommodate because you KNOW once I take the plunge, I'm going to be hooked and want both! :smile:
Sue

To add to your confusion, you may be able to keep cuttles in your reef tank. You will need to list what you have in there and get Thales or Cuttlegirl to diagnose but cuttles are more or less reef safe (shrimp and fish are not safe). Octos need an environment that won't sting/burn their skin (infection being the biggest concern) and don't go around corals so delicate creature get moved and climbed on but cuttles don't share this disruptive behavior.

I ordered cuttle eggs from them once. The shipment was prompt and just what I asked for. I emailed them to confirm shipping arrangements and received responses very quickly.

I will certainly order from them again.

Maybe My experience is not the norm... But I ordered Cuttle eggs from a LFS recently and if you look at my thread I have had pretty good results. 7/9 eggs hatched with two more viable eggs that I am sure will hatch very shortly. At $60 bucks for the clutch this is also a much better deal than NY aquatics or the other suppliers on the web can charge. I would really suggest just calling around and/or visting several LFS in person. Preferrably ones with large saltwater/reef sections. The LFS I got mine at is not the best or most well known in my area but their supplier was able to get me eggs promptly.

All this being said Sue, I will hopefully, if all goes well, be getting rid of 1 or 2 males in a month or two once I can sex them. If you are interested. I would help you out.

When I get cuttle eggs I plan on buying cuttle eggs from 2 different places (one being NYaquatics) so I can see how well the eggs from deifferent sellers do in the same conditions (other than different breeder net).

I ordered my last batch from them, the owner shipped an extra cuttlefish with my order. The eggs all worked out good and hatched within a week. Had one DOA of the cuttlefish babies and the rest died a week later they did seem to want to eat the live mysid or anything else. I would go with eggs that way by the time they hatch they are use to you water. I think one of my problems was bad RO water from my local petstore. I went back to a place in Dayton and got new water for all my started tanks. I am getting ready to make the 1 hour drive again today to finish filling my other tank.

NY is a good place and mike will take care of you, he has both eggs and baby cuttlefish. The eggs come in a group of 3 for $20.00 and babies were $10.00 each, shipping was great for my because they are closer than CA

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back